1 Day Alnwick Castle, Northumberland Coast & Scottish Borders
Explore the castles of the rugged ‘Viking Coast’ within Berwickshire and Northumberland as you cross the Border between Scotland and England. Step back in time at the spectacular Alnwick Castle – the real Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! Enjoy the beautiful rolling hills of Sir Walter Scott’s Borders countryside and allow your Guide to immerse you in Scotland’s history with tales of Robert the Bruce, the ‘Outlaw King’.
This tour is ideal for both fans of Harry Potter and history buffs alike, looking to explore a more of Scotland and into Northern England.
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Entry to attractions
- Entry/Admission - Melrose Abbey
- Entry/Admission - Alnwick Castle
- Entry/Admission - The Alnwick Garden
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Pentland Hills, Just south of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH10 6JF Scotland
Departing Edinburgh’s historic Old Town, we travel south through the leafy, affluent suburbs of the city towards the Pentland Hills. This morning we visit the rolling, beautiful hills of the Scottish Borders. Hear tales from your Guide about the infamous Border Reivers, who raided villages and settlements in this part of the country for centuries – friends to neither the Scots nor the English!
Stop At: Scott's View, St. Boswells TD6 0AP Scotland
You’ll see for yourself why Sir Walter Scott, one of Scotland’s greatest cultural figures, loved this landscape and you will learn why it became his home. If time permits, we will visit the breathtaking Scott’s View to admire the stunning view of the River Tweed and Eildon Hills.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Melrose Abbey, Abbey Street, Melrose TD6 9LG Scotland
We’ll make a short visit to the historic Borders town of Melrose, home of the famous Abbey which is burial place to many of Scotland’s nobility. Your Guide will tell you the inspiring story of Robert the Bruce, Scotland’s ‘Outlaw King’, whose heart is said to be interred in the Abbey.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Alnwick Castle, Alnwick NE66 1NQ England
It’s then across the English border and on to the magical Alnwick Castle. A dream come true for Harry Potter fanatics from around the world, you will have plenty of time to explore the corridors, great halls and courtyards of the real school of witchcraft and wizardry, Hogwarts! See where Harry learned to fly and to play Quidditch in the Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. You might even wish to take part in their famous Broomstick Training sessions with the resident Wizarding Professor!
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: The Alnwick Garden, Denwick Lane, Alnwick NE66 1YU England
Some guests may prefer to explore breathtaking Alnwick Gardens, originally developed by the Duke of Northumberland in the 18th Century and redeveloped by a charitable trust over the past 20 years. Or indeed, the charming village of Alnwick itself which is home to the largest second hand book store in the UK.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Bamburgh Castle Bamburgh, Bamburgh NE69 7DF England
Late afternoon, we depart Alnwick and travel North along the rugged ‘Viking Coast’ towards the Scottish border. We’ll stop in the picturesque village of Bamburgh and enjoy spectacular views of the imposing Castle overlooking the bay. Take yourself back in time and imagine Viking longships attacking this strategic stronghold in the 10th Century! Or, enjoy local ice-cream in the sun as you stroll along the beautiful beach.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Deacon's House Cafe, 304 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2PS, UK
Departure Time :8:15 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Guests are booking this tour under the understanding that it will not be possible for us to guarantee a 2 metre distance between parties while on board. Seating will be pre-allocated. All guests strictly must wear a mask or participation in the excursion will not be possible - no exemptions are made
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.