3 days hiking tour South Africa
The Drakensberg is rated as one of the best hiking destinations in the world.
The ancient basalt and sandstone formations tower up into the sky forming a natural barrier between South Africa and Lesotho.
This hike is unlike any other hiking experience. The mnweni area of the Drakensberg is remote. We never see other hikers on the tours. The only people we see are the occasional Basotho Shepard’s on the summit escarpment.
This is a proper old school hiking experience. Hikers are self sufficient. They carry their own backpacks with sleeping bags and clothing. We drink water from the pure mountain streams.
The highlight is night 2 when we sleep in an ancient cave worn away into the cliff face.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Breakfast and dinner on the mountain
- All Fees and Taxes
- Tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, cooking and eating utensils
What's excluded :
- Breakfast on day 1
- Lunches on the mountain
- Porters to carry your backpack
Enjoy 3 days of hiking in the remote part of the Drakensberg mountains known as Mnweni. We follow the ancient valleys and summit the escarpment (known by locals as the barrier of spears). This is hiking South African style.
The hike is self sufficient. So hikers will be required to carry their own backpacks, sleeping bags and clothing.
Hiking distance is 35 over 3 days. The distance on day 1 is 10km. Day 2 is 8km. Day 3 is 16km.
The maximum height we reach is 3100m. The biggest altitude gain is on day 2 where hikers will gain 1000m up mnweni pass to the top of the Drakensberg escarpment.
Day 3 sees us dropping about 1200m over 16km.
We depart Johannesburg on day 1 at 5am and return on day 3 at 6pm.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
we will meet travelers out side the reception of the hotel
Departure Time :5:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Hikers must be moderately fit. Must be able to handle 10km daily hiking distances
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.