4-Day Inca Quarry Trek to Machu Picchu
Embark on this recently discovered route which some consider to be an alternative Inca Trail. See stunning waterfalls and witness intriguing Inca engineering marvels at the Cachicata quarry. Visit breathtaking archaeological sites en route to Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu.
-Trek through amazing scenery with waterfalls and ruins
-Enjoy stunning panoramic views of breathtaking valleys
-Experience a unique Inca Sun Gate and Machu Picchu
-Witness the work of the Incas at the Cachicata Quarry
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 3x Breakfast
- 3x Dinner
- 3x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 3 nights
- Pre-departure briefing
- Cuzco Accommodation Pickup
- Van Transfer from Cuzco to Huarocondo/Socma
- Round Trip Train Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes
- Round Trip Tourist Bus Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
- Bus Transfer from Ollantaytambo to Cuzco
- Camping Accommodation during trek (including basic sleeping mattress & tent for 2 people)
- 1-night 3* Hotel Accommodation in Aguas Calientes
- Professional English Speaking Guide on trek & Machu Picchu tour
- Meals: 3B/3L/3D
- Cook: In charge of meal preparation
- Horsemen and Horses to carry tents, food, cooking and camping equipment plus a total of 5 kilos for each trekker. (This includes 2.5 kilos for your sleeping bag & mattress plus 2.5 kilos of personal items.
- Equipment: Tents (2 people will share a tent), Basic sleeping pad, Shared camping equipment, Dinner tent, Kitchen tent, tables and chairs, table settings
- First aid kit & Emergency Oxygen Bottle
- Small group experience; Max 15, Avg 4
What's excluded :
- Breakfast on day 1 and lunch on day 4
- Sleeping Bag (Available for rent in Cuzco)
- Trekking Poles (Available for rent in Cuzco)
- Guide for bus and train transfers (these portions are on your own)
- Optional Huayna Picchu Trek (at an extra cost) must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance
- Optional Machu Picchu Mountain Hike (at an extra cost) must be booked at least 1 week in advance
- Tips (Please remember that tipping is 100% optional and depends entirely on the service you received. It is customary to give tips in Latin America, however it is NOT mandatory. If you do wish to give a tip, these are our recommended guidelines.) Guide: 40-60 soles per trekker Horsemen: 60-80 soles for each horseman from the whole group Cook: 150-200 soles for the cook from the whole group
- Cuzco Accommodation Drop-off
- Personal Expenses
- Travel Insurance
Day 1: Leave Cuzco for Rafca, trek from Socma through Perolniyoc to Rayanniyoc (L/D)
Stop At: Perolniyoq Waterfall, Apv- Tipon-n11, Ollantaytambo Peru
We will pick you up around 6:00 - 6:15 am from your Cuzco accommodation, and drive towards the town of Rafca (2800m). Then we continue driving for another 30 minutes until we arrive at the village of Socma (3000m), the starting point of our trek. There, we meet the muleteer that will join us during the hike. After a short break and packing our things, we will begin trekking towards the Inca site of Perolniyoc (3200m). After about 2 hours and a half, we will reach Perolniyoc for lunch, and visit the beautiful waterfall as well as the archaeological ruins that lie at the top of the valley. We will go on for another 30 minutes until we arrive at Rayan-Niyoc (3,600m). Here we will get settled in and have dinner, then camp overnight in a cold climate.
Duration: 18 minutes
Accommodation included: Overnight in Rayan-Niyoc (3,600m) - Camping
Day 2: Rayanniyoc-Inti Punku - Choquetacarpo (B/L/D)
Stop At: Choquetacarpo, 08720, Peru
Wake early today for a hearty breakfast before a challenging trek to reach our first high pass of the trek, located at 4,400 meters above sea level with breathtaking mountain vistas. This area is still cultivated by the local people despite the high altitudes and we will see local people caring for their fields. After walking about 4 hours, we will reach the pass, stopping to take in the panorama and catching our breath. We will stop at a camp for lunch around 4,300m and then continue hiking to reach a second high pass of 4,500 m, the highest point of the trek. Enjoy spectacular views of the valley below before heading down for about 3 hours to a site the Incas called Inti Punku (meaning Sun Gate), which also offers imposing views over the valley and the Veronica mountain rising over the horizon. Soon after, we will arrive at Choquetacarpo (3600m), our second camp of the trek. Get settled in, have dinner and camp overnight.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in Choquetacarpo (3600m) - Camping
Day 3: Trek from Choquetacarpo to Cachicata Inca Quarry & Ollantaytambo, train to Aguas Calientes (B/L/D)
Stop At: Aguas Calientes, Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Cusco Region
Today we will have breakfast at camp and then continue our descent to the Inca quarry of Cachicata (3820m), where we can witness the work of the Incas. It was the quarry used by the Incas for the construction of Ollantaytambo and there are various points of interest including several large buildings, quarried stones left half finished and abandoned throughout the site, chullpas (burial houses) and a cave with Inca mummies still in place. After exploring this site, we’ll continue our way down the mountain for about 3 hours until the small town of Ollantaytambo, the ending point of this challenging and fascinating trek. From there, take the train to Aguas Calientes. You will be met by your guide at the train station to take you to your hotel and give you the indications for the next day. Check in to your hotel, have dinner and enjoy a well-deserved rest tonight.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in Aguas Calientes - 3* Hotel
Day 4: Explore Machu Picchu & Return to Cuzco (B)
Stop At: Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Cusco Region
Waking up early, we will take the bus to Machu Picchu first thing in the morning, entering the site as it opens. You will go on a 2-hour tour with your guide, during which you’ll learn about the Incas and the history of Machu Picchu. Enjoy some free time after the tour to walk around the site, take some pictures, and/or do the optional hike up to Huayna Picchu (must be booked at least 2 weeks in advance). Take the bus back to Aguas Calientes and board the train to Ollantaytambo. Take a bus transfer back to Cuzco where you will be dropped off late in the day at the Plaza San Francisco. Please make your own way to the accommodation of your choice.
Duration: 20 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact us at least two weeks before your departure date so we can arrange pickup from your central Cusco accommodation.
Departure Time :6:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.