4-Day Uyuni Salt Flats from La Paz to Atacama in Chile
Depart La Paz for an unforgettable expedition through the vast and blinding-white salt flats of Uyuni and into the desert of southwest Bolivia. Along the way, visit tiny villages, salt hostels, multi-colored lakes with flamingos, geysers, and thermal hot-springs at 4,000 - 5,000m.
- Take wacky pictures in the famous Salar de Uyuni
- Drive through the Bolivian Altiplano’s moon-like deserts
- Marvel at breathtaking red and green colored lakes
- See active volcanoes and relax in therapeutic hot springs
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2x Breakfast
- 3x Dinner
- 3x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 3 nights
- Bus from La Paz - Uyuni
- Local driver & English-speaking guide on tour
What's excluded :
- Entrance fee to Incahuasi Island (approx. 30 Bs)
- Personal expenses and gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Entrance fee to Eduardo Avaroa Reserve (approx. 150 Bs)
- Sleeping bags (recommended during Uyuni Expedition, approx. 50 Bs)
- Private room during Uyuni Expedition (approx. 48 USD per person, subject to availability)
- Hot shower at the lodges (approx. 30 Bs)
- Meals not specified in the itinerary
- Entry/Admission - Eduardo Avaroa National Reserve of Andean Fauna
Day 1: Transfer to Uyuni (D)
Stop At: Salar de Uyuni, Uyuni Bolivia
Enjoy a free day at your leisure. We'll send a driver to pick you up from your La Paz hotel at around 20:00, and transfer you to the bus station. From here, you'll catch your overnight bus from La Paz to Uyuni and enjoy a light dinner on the bus.
Duration: 12 hours
Accommodation included: Overnight in night bus (unguided)
Day 2: Uyuni Salt Flats (L/D)
Stop At: Salar de Uyuni, Uyuni Bolivia
We'll pick you up from the bus station around 07:00am and you'll have some leisure time to have breakfast. Then, your adventure begins at 10:30am! We'll first visit the Train cemetery to discover very old locomotives from the Carbon era. Next is the town of Colchani, where we will see the manual processing of salt, handicrafts and the salt museum. Then, we'll make for the Uyuni Salt Flats (12,000 km2) and will see the “Montones de sal” and how locals extract the salt. Next, we'll visit Playa Blanca hotel and the Incahuasi Island with its giant cacti that is located in the middle of the salt flats. It's the perfect spot to have lunch, enjoying an amazing view. Then, we will continue our trip to the town of San Juan or Atulcha (3,700 masl). Tonight will be spent at a small salt hostel.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in a small salt hostel.
Day 3: Eduardo Avaroa Andean Flora and Fauna Reserve (B/L/D)
Stop At: Eduardo Avaroa National Reserve of Andean Fauna, Bolivia
Today we will depart at 08:30am. We'll visit Salar de Chiguana, viewpoint of the Ollague Volcano (active), and then visit the Andean lagoons of Cañapa, Chiarcota, and Hedionda, located at an average altitude of 4,300masl. Here, you can see flamingos, vicuñas and other Andean fauna. We will then pass through the Siloli desert and visit the Stone Tree, formed due to erosion. In the afternoon, we will visit Laguna Colorada (4,300masl) where we can see more wild animals. We will continue to Huayllajara, where our small hostel is located at an average altitude of 4,300masl. Please consider that the temperature is very low at night (even -20 °C), so it is recommended to bring a sleeping bag.
Duration: 1 day
Accommodation included: Overnight in Huayllajara in a small hostel.
Day 4: Sol de Mañana, Dali Desert and crossing to Atacama (B/L)
Stop At: Salvador Dali Desert, Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve Bolivia
Today we will depart at 05:00 am to visit the active geysers of Sol de Mañana, which are located at an altitude of 4,900masl. Marvel at the fumaroles or boiling lava at a temperature of 90° C. Then, we will continue to the thermal waters of Polques, where we can take a hot bath. We will pass through the Dalí desert until we reach the spectacular Laguna Verde and Laguna Blanca, located at the foot of the Licancabur volcano. We will pass through the Dalí desert until we reach the Laguna Verde and Laguna Blanca, located at the foot of the Licancabur volcano. After this, we will continue to the border of Hito Cajon. After the migration process, we will take a shared transportation to San Pedro de Atacama.
Duration: 18 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please get in touch with us at least 2 weeks before your departure to arrange pick-up from your accommodation.
Departure Time :8:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 9 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or force majeure events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as close as possible.
- During the rainy season from January to April, the salt flats fill up with water so it is not possible to cross them in the same way as during dry season. As a consequence, the itinerary is modified during that period. The main changes are usually as follows: Instead of stopping at the Incahuasi (Fish Island), we stop at a place where the water reflects the sky and where it seems that the sky and the ground merge into one. On day 2, we might sleep at another location. We visit the Sol de Mañana Geyser and hot springs at the end of day 3 instead of in the morning of day 4.
- Altitude: This trip takes place at a very high altitude. The salt flats are around 16, 500 feet (5,000 meters) above sea level, and most guests will be able to feel the effects. We recommend acclimating yourself to above 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) before the trip and bringing along medication for headaches and tablets for altitude sickness in case you feel unwell. And remember, the real key is to drink lots of water!
- Accommodation / Facilities on Tour: The reality of visiting a remote area and immersing yourself in nature is that you will be far from modern facilities and the services will sometimes be slow and quite basic. Due to the harsh terrain, vehicle breakdowns are not uncommon, but the drivers are very used to fixing them and wait times are rarely excessive. The accommodations will be very basic, with cots and shared rooms, and the electricity and running water in the National Park are not as dependable as they are back at home. Toilet facilities will be available only on the first day and may have a small local cost. Make sure to bring snacks, some water, toilet paper, and plenty of warm clothes. That said, with some patience, preparation, and an appetite for adventure, this trip will certainly be a positive and unforgettable experience.
- Suggested packing list: Sun hat, sunglasses (to protect your eyes from the bright glare off the salt plains), sunblock, coat, gloves, wool hat, trekking shoes, warm socks, swimsuit and towel for hot springs at Sol de Manana Geysers, extra bottles of water (we recommend bringing a 5 liter bottled water so you can have enough water for the whole trip), snacks, personal medication. Flashlight/torch, camera, extra batteries and memory card, charger (electricity available in most hotels), hand sanitizer, personal first aid kit. You will be sleeping up to 14,190 feet (4,300 meters) above sea level and depending on the season, temperatures can drop well below freezing (reaching below 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 degrees Celsius), in the winter months of June and July) and the wind chill can be harsh, so bring plenty of warm clothes like a scarf and wool hat for the chilly evenings.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.