A Hike to Mau Mau Caves in Mt Kenya
This is a short hike to Historical Mau Mau Caves located in the foothills of Mt Kenya near Nanyuki. The Mau Mau caves have stood the test of time as a solemn reminder of one the British Colonial Empire’s bloodiest war, & most significant step near the independence in Kenya.
The epic caves used to be the storage and the hideout zones for the Mau freedom fighters during the Emergency period in 1952 -1960 before Kenya became an independent country. Today the caves have a variety of attractions such as the indigenous forest full of the Columbus monkey and a variety of birdlife.
per adult from
10 to 12 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transport on a car from Nairobi and back
- Park entrances
- Guide fees
- Drinking water
What's excluded :
- Guide tips
- Travel insurances and medical covers
- Anything not mentioned above
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mau-Mau Cave, Kenya
The Mau Mau caves at the foothills of Mt Kenya open out to a beautiful waterfall and pass-through rocks on the Burguret River. Once covered a dense forest these caves are well known for their historical significance.
During Kenya's fight struggle for independence, the Mau Mau freedom fighters used these caves to store supplies as well as hideouts from the colonial forces led by the British and the collaborators.
We will drive from Nairobi to Bantu Lodge near Nanyuki where our hike begins.
The 9 KM trail begins at the Bantu Lodge and takes you through the wild bushes and relatively short indigenous trees teeming baboons, birds and other wildlife.
When you get to the caves a swaying footbridge leads you to the shallow cave mostly made up of a large sheltered space.
A short hike across takes you to the top of the waterfalls with magnificent views of the waterfalls.
We shall return to the lodge again for lunch and relaxation before beginning our journey back to Nairobi.
Duration: 8 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Our Driver Guide shall pick you at your Hotel/residence within Nairobi and it's surroundings in the morning. Airports
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Embakasi, Nairobi, Kenya
- Wilson Airport, Nairobi Kenya
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 1/28/2020 - 11/4/2021
Monday - Sunday: 06:00 AM - 07:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.