A Royal Mile Walk in the Spirit of Burns and Stevenson
Did you know that Edinburgh was once home to some of history’s most notable writers? Come learn about literary icons Robert Burns and Robert Louis Stevenson amidst the inspiring backdrop of Edinburgh’s old city!
Join actors Peter Berry and John Shedden in the spirit of Burns and Stevenson as they perform and illuminate, with humorous interplay, many of the famous works of two of Scotland's greatest writers!
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local taxes
What's excluded :
- Enjoy a tour in the delightful surroundings of the historic Royal Mile. Starting at the front of the Canongate Kirk, this engaging ninety-minute enacted walk starts with a saunter through the Canongate graveyard, bringing to life some of the characters buried therein including Robert Burns' and Stevenson's muse, Robert Fergusson, and Burns' unrequited love, Clarinda. The tour then winds its way up the old High Street (even including some places of quietude on the Mile!), taking in the wee closes such as Anchor Close (home of a notorious drinking club that Burns frequented, the ‘Crochallan Fencibles’). Next, experience Burns and Stevenson discussing 'Holy Willie's Prayer' by St. Giles Cathedral before being enraptured by delightful excerpts from Robert Louis Stevenson's 'Kidnapped'. This tour culminates in a cultural epiphany of both men's work in the light of the Writers' Museum at Lady Stairs Close in Lawnmarket.
Please note, this tour does involve 90 minutes walking and standing, and some steps are necessary.
Departure Point :Canongate Kirk (Church) on the Royal Mile
Departure Time :2:30 PM
Return Detail :Tour ends at the Writer's Museum, Lady Stairs House, Lady Stairs Close, Lawnmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2PA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Availability for shows cannot be checked without making a booking. Credit cards will only be charged upon confirmation of show availability
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.