Acatenango Volcano Day Hike from Antigua
Located one hour from Antigua Guatemala, the Acatenango volcano is almost 4000 meters high. Hiking up you will get amazing up-close views of the very active Fuego volcano and the surrounding landscape. Transportation, bilingual guide and lunch are included in this tour. This is a great active full-day trip and will be one of the highlights of your visit to Guatemala.
per adult from
8 to 12 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees of 50 Quetzales per person, to be paid upon arrival to the volcano (where you start the hike)
- Entry/Admission - Acatenango Volcano
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Acatenango Volcano, Volcan Acatenango Chimaltenango Sacatepequez, Antigua 03001 Guatemala
You will start at 5 am with pick-up from your address or hotel in Antigua. It is a one hour drive to get to the village of La Soledad where you will start the hike. During the hike you will be accompanied by a professional bilingual guide with experience in climbing volcanoes and knowledge about the surroundings.
During the first part of the hike, you will walk by fields of corn and other crops interspersed with cloud forests. The further you get to the top the vegetation will become less until it will be mostly volcanic ash and rubble. The total hike up will take about 6 hours. The Acatenango volcano is inactive but next to the very active Fuego volcano (but still at a safe distance!). Getting to the top there is a very good chance you will see smoke, ash, and lava coming out of Fuego, an amazing thing to see up close.
You will have a picnic-style lunch and make the descent back to La Soledad where the transportation will be waiting to take you back to Antigua. The time of the trip including transfers will be about 12 hours.
For this trip, you have to be in good physical shape. Please wear good shoes, bring a warm (fleece) jacket, a raincoat in the rainy season, sunblock and sunglasses.
Duration: 10 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up from any hotel, place or address inside Antigua Guatemala.
Departure Time :5:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- We will supply a 2 L water bottle per person, but please bring more water if you feel you should need it. Also bring a small back pack to carry the lunch, good shoes, good jacket, sunglasses, sunscreen, rain jacket.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.