Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave Tour and Picnic
Actun Tunichil Muknal is a mysterious and beautiful portal to the ancient Maya and their traditions, ceremonies and spirituality. This cave system served as a ceremonial site where the Maya performed sacrifices and other ceremonies as they dealt with extreme and harsh conditions in times of drought.
Explore this lush area surrounded by beautiful jungles, and the cave entrance is traversed by swimming across a crystal clear spring fed pool. Spend 3 hours in the cave after hiking in through the rain forest. Here you will see stunning artifacts, altars and the crystallized skeletons of the sacrificed girl, The Crystal Maiden.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Explore the cave with an expert, specially licensed guide
- Includes transportation to and from our office in San Ignacio
- All necessary equipment
- Lunch with a drink
- Rum punch
- 3-hour walking tour of cave system
- Entry/Admission - Actun Tunichil Muknal
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off only if requested
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Actun Tunichil Muknal, Tea Kettle Village Belize
Taking a journey into the Maya underworld at Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) or the “Cave of the Stone Sepulchre” for one of the most enlightening, epic and unique experiences of your life.
Leave the world of the living behind as you venture into the heart of the ATM Cave with your licensed guide. Recently deemed the #1 Sacred Cave destination in the world by National Geographic, the ATM cave is not only beautiful geologically with its crystalline stalactites and stalagmites, but also historically, as is a natural museum of ancient Maya artifacts, as well as a sacred burial place.
This is the final resting place of “Crystal Maiden,” an ancient Maya ceremonial victim, as well as the remains of 13 other sacrificed men, women and children. Your professional guides have led government officials, National Geographic, Discovery Channel, The British High Commission and US Embassy officials into the ATM Cave. This sacrificial site is accessed by a 45 minute drive from our office in San Ignacio.
Stop At: Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve, Belize
Here we enter the Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve and park our vehicles at the ranger post. From this point on we are on foot, hiking through the jungle for approximately 45 minutes to the entrance of the cave. To access the cave we swim across a small spring- fed pool and wade into the dark underworld of the cave that allows us access the extensive underground maze of tunnels, passageways and chambers, climaxing in the ceremonial chamber housing stoneware, ceramics, the famed crystallized skeleton of the “Crystal Maiden”.
We spend approximately 3 hours in the cave at the guidance of our experienced guides.
We enter back into the jungle world and hike to our vehicles where we relax and enjoy a homemade picnic lunch with water and soft drinks before driving back to San Ignacio.
Difficulty level: Moderate (involved some easy swimming and life jackets are provided for non-swimmers, who will also be escorted by our highly trained guide).
Duration: 5 hours
Departure Point :Mayawalk Tours, 19 Burns Avenue, San Ignacio, Belize
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick ups from all locations in Belize can be arranged. There may be an additional charge so please contact us if pick up is needed. . Departure Point for most tours: Downtown San IgnacioAddress: MayaWalk Tours Main Office19 Burns AvenueSan Ignacio TownCayo DistrictBelize, Central AmericaDirections: MayaWalk Tours Main Office located between Tandoor Restaurant and Belize BankReturn point: Returns to original departure point
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Cancellations only due to severe rain or flooding
- Guests must wear appropriate shoes for walking through jungle and water
- Guests must bring a pair of socks for the dry chamber in the cave
- Minimum height requirement is 40inches
- Vegetarian meal option available upon request
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.