Actun Tunichil Muknal Tour (ATM Cave)
DAY TOUR FROM PLACENCIA, HOPKINS OR DANGRIGA
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave was rated by the Discovery Channel as the number one Sacred Cave in the world. Only accessible by swimming across a spring-fed pool, ATM contains hundreds of relics which have lain undisturbed for more than a millennia. At the far end of the cave lie the bones of more than a dozen men, women, and children who were ritually slaughtered by the ancient Maya.
per adult from
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional Tour guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Use of helmet, lights and life vests
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Barefoot Rental and Services
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Barefoot Rental and Services, Main Street, Placencia Belize
Officially called Actun Tunichil Muknal, the ATM Cave is a series of underground spaces measuring several kilometers long that were once used by the ancient Maya for a variety of ceremonial and religious purposes. Today, the ATM cave system is reached by hiking across a series of streams and then climbing, swimming and making your way deep into the caverns to clamber up to a raised area that contains ceramics, stoneware and ritual objects left behind by Maya priests. The most popular attraction at the ATM Cave is the complete remains of a young woman who was sacrificed in the cave. Over the centuries, her bones started to crystallize, giving her body a shimmering appearance that earned her the nickname of the Crystal Maiden.
Exploring the ATM Cave is restricted to individuals who are in good health as visitors will have to both climb rocky surfaces as well as swim across deep water to reach the where Maya artifacts can be viewed.
Duration: 11 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We come to the property you are saying.Tours typically depart at begin time from the South end of Placencia, so if you are staying north of Placencia village we will be at your property a few minutes after tour begin time.
Departure Time :6:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for child aged 10 and under
- Wear cool comfortable jungle attire for this subtropical climate.
- Bring change of clothing
- Must have a pair of socks
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.