Afternoon in Melbourne - Private Booze and History Tour with a drink in-hand
Through gold rushes and rebellions, Olympics and royal visits, Melburnians have turned to ales, whiskeys, wines, and cocktails for comfort. Experience Melbourne’s unique bar scene on a private tour with a local guide and visit its unique watering holes. By the end of this private tour, you’ll discover that history really is better with booze (as if there was ever any doubt)!
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
What's excluded :
- Drinks, food, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide. Because everyone’s drinking preferences and tolerances are different, rather than include drinks, we keep our tour price low and allow you to purchase drinks as you go. Most establishments accept bank cards, but there is occasionally a minimum spend. You may wish to bring cash if you want to avoid this.
- We begin next to the Sir William Clarke Memorial next to the Old Treasury Building. A symbolic area of Melbourne and home to our Parliament . The order of the venues may change, but together we will visit a variety of our favourite watering holes, these may include a classic craft beer establishment, a laneway bar, a hidden speakeasy or a rooftop bar.
Everyone has their favourite drink but you’ll be encouraged to try something different on this tour. Never tried whiskey? We’ll take you to a place where you can discover its charms.
Want to check out some local wines? With the Yarra Valley just a stone’s throw away, it would be a sin not to taste some of the delectable wines in the region.
The craft beer scene is exploding in Melbourne right now yet beer has always had a rich history in the city. You’ll learn about the standard pour sizes of Victorian beers and how beer nearly led to all alcohol being banned during the gold rush.
Many of Melbourne’s most popular bars and have the opportunity to try concoctions from the following pit stops:
A classic Aussie pub. Throw back a pot or a pint, as here’s where you’ll learn about the standard pour sizes of Victorian beers and how beer nearly led to all alcohol being banned during the gold rush.
A cocktail bar. Melbourne has some of the best mixologists around, but most of them are hidden in tiny, hidden cocktail barslaneways and that survive on word of mouth alonee. Visit a speakeasy-style bar and learn about how and why Melbourne’s laneway scene developed.
Rooftop bars are a favourite place for Melbournians to gather and not just in summer. During winter, some rooftops add a marquee and heaters and carry on regardless. You’ll visit one of the most eclectic rooftop bars in the city.
A wine bar. With the Yarra Valley just a stone’s throw away, it would be a sin not to taste some of the delectable wines in the region. Learn how wine shaped Australia’s history and how to taste wine like a member of the social elite.
A surprise! Melbourne’s bar scene is ever-changing, so one of the bars the fourth bar will be chosen by your guide on the day, depending on the group’s desires, the weather, and what is trendingy in Melbourne at that particular moment inthe time.
If you’re still thirsty by the end of the tour, don’t forget to ask your local guide for some more recommendations, so you won’t have to worry about a dry mouth for the rest of your stay in Melbourne.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
Departure Point :Sir William John Clarke Memorial, Spring St, Melbourne VIC 3002, Australia
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Melbourne Central, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Most establishments accept bank cards, but there is occasionally a minimum spend. You may wish to bring cash if you want to avoid this.
- Melbourne is known to have four seasons in one day – please check the weather report and dress accordingly!
- Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted to join this tour.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.