Aix-en-Provence: Highlights from the capital of Provence on an audio tour
Aix is a beautifully preserved city. In fact, its centre hasn’t changed much over the last 300 years, but that doesn't mean it's living in the past. On this tour, you’ll quickly see how the city’s history plays a huge part in the resurgence we’re seeing now in the fortunes of modern Aix. There are lots of elegant buildings and squares along the way, of course, and we’ll explore its 2,000-year-old story together – but there are also bustling markets, expensive clothing stores and some great cake shops.
By the end of this self-guided audio tour, you’ll understand how the city’s turbulent past has shaped its present. It’s a fascinating story filled with plague, war, revolution, and fortunes made and lost.
The highlights include:
• How an archbishop developed an expensive real estate block
• Why we remember Paul Cezanne and not Emile Zola
• Aix’s very own rags to riches story
• How Napoleon shaped Aix’s history
And so much more!
per adult from
75 to 90 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- Smartphone and headphones
- Food and drink
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Fontaine de La Rotonde, Entree cours Mirabeau, 13100, Aix-en-Provence France
The tour starts next to the Fontaine de la Rotonde.
Pass By: Hotel de Caumont - Art Centre, 3 rue Joseph Cabassol, 13100, Aix-en-Provence France
The tour passes by the Hôtel de Caumont.
Pass By: Place des 4 Dauphins, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
The tour passes the place des Quatre-Dauphins.
Pass By: Fontaine du Roi Rene, Cours Mirabeau, 13100, Aix-en-Provence France
The tour passes the statue of King René
Pass By: Court of Appeal of Aix En Provence, 20 Place de Verdun, 13616 Aix-en-Provence, France
The tour stops briefly in front of the Court of Appeal of Aix En Provence.
Pass By: Hôtel Boyer d'Eguilles, 6 Rue Espariat, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
The tour passes by the Hôtel Boyer d'Eguilles
Pass By: Place d'Albertas, 11 rue Espariat, 13100, Aix-en-Provence France
The tour passes by the Place d’Albertas.
Pass By: Place de l'Hôtel de ville, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
The tour passes through and then returns to the city hall square at the end of the tour.
Pass By: Hotel de Chateaurenard, 19 rue Gaston de Saporta, 13100, Aix-en-Provence France
The tour passes the Hôtel de Châteaurenard.
Pass By: Paroisse Cathédrale Saint Sauveur Aix-en-Provence, 34 Place des Martyrs-de-la-Résistance, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
The tour stops briefuly in front of the Saint Sauveur cathedral.
Departure Point :Fontaine de la Rotonde, Place du Général de Gaulle, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/13/2020 - 11/4/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Place de la Mairie, Rue Vauvenargues, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.