An audio tour of Rethymno: From Ancient Greece to modern times
This self guided audio tour begins a stone’s throw from the old Venetian harbor and its impressive lighthouse. From there, we’ll enjoy a slow wander through tiny alleyways, filled with Venetian houses. We’ll pass museums where you can have a look inside, if you like. (The early Minoan artifacts that were found nearby are amazing.) We’ll also visit the huge Fortezza with its magical domed mosque and its excellent panoramic views over both the city and the Aegean Sea.
Along the way, you'll hear about:
How the city got its name
The impact of the Ottoman Turks
The cruel story behind the Four New Martyrs church
The architect and builder of the Venetian Loggia
The layout inside the Greek Orthodox Church and its religious traditions
Why and how Byzantine icons are so special on Crete
What the memorial posters you see everywhere on the electricity poles and walls mean
per adult from
160 to 185 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- Smartphone and headphones
- Entry/Admission - Fortezza Castle
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Egyptian Lighthouse, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
The tour passes by the Egyptian Lighthouse.
Pass By: Venetian Harbour, Rethymno Old City, Rethymnon, Crete Greece
The tour passes by the Venetian Harbour.
Pass By: Four Martyrs Church, Gerakari 6, Rethymnon, Crete 741 00 Greece
The tour stops briefly outside the church.
Pass By: Moschea Neratze, Tra Ethniki Antistaseos E Vernaridou, Rethymnon, Crete Greece
The tour passes by the Neratze Mosque.
Pass By: Rimondi Fountain, Platanou square, Rethymnon, Crete Greece
The tour stops briefly at the Rimondi Fountain.
Stop At: Fortezza Castle, Rethimno 741 00, Greece
The tour has an optional visit to the Fortezza of Rethymno.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Emmanouil Kefalogianni Avenue, Leof. Emmanouil Kefalogianni, Rethymno 741 00, Greece
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/10/2020 - 10/21/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.