Ancient Bulgarian warriors - Private tour
Get ready for a time travel and adventure which you won’t forget! You’ll learn some interesting history, shoot with a bow, ride a horse, fight with swords and taste the ancient Bulgarians’ food.
We are going to a place where for a few hours we’ll get to live the life of the ancient Bagaturs. Those were Bulgarian warriors in the antiquity whose name means "heavenly sword". Being similar to the knights and the samurai, the Bagaturs were heavily armed and on a horse. They were extremely well-trained warriors. Some of their contemporaries wrote that a Bagatur can be compared to 100 ordinary soldiers.
In order to check all of the above, we’ll embark on a trip to the city of Stara Zagora where Aul Baga-tur is situated. Aul is an old Bulgarian word which means “temporary village/fort” of the proto-Bulgarians.
*** IMPORTANT NOTICE: The 2-hour Bagatur program costs an additional 150 euro per group and is not included in the price of the tour. It's payable to our Bagatur hosts on arrival.
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport in a modern vehicle (car/minibus) with air conditioning
- 2.5-hour walking tour in Stara Zagora
- An English speaking tripvam representative during the whole trip
What's excluded :
- Entrance and 2 hours Bagatur program Aul Baga-Tur in Stara Zagora - costs 150 euro per group
- Entrance fees to the museums (5 euro/10 leva)
- Personal expenditures
- Food and beverages
- Insurance (optional)
- Gratuities (optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Plovdiv Old Town, Plovdiv 4000 Bulgaria
Our Day trip adventure starts at 08:30 am. We’ll take you from your hotel or the apartment where you stay.
We head to Stara Zagora city. This is the 5th largest city in the country. It’s built on top of an old Roman village called Irinopolis. Many valuable mosaics, tombs, and antiques from the old ages have been found there. A part of the antique theatre is still well preserved. Todays Stara Zagora streets are still following the plans and routes of the ancient Romans roads.
In our city walking tour, we will see surrounded by the Palace of Justice, the unique museum of religions, the Opera house and the old Dramatic theatre accommodating lots of massive remains of the ancient Roman city of Ulpia Augusta Traina.
For lunch, we’ll enjoy typical Bulgarian cuisine in a local restaurant.
Filled with energy we depart for Aul Baga-Tur where we are being expected by our hosts. What will happen there?
We’ll spend 2 hours in which:
We’ll be introduced to the world of ancient Bulgarians with a talk in exposition tent. There you’ll learn about and even see and touch the old weapons of our ancestors.
Then, our Bagatur hosts will make a demonstration of their skills in using different weapons, wrestling, horse riding, and other impressive performances.
Now is your turn! You’ll become a part of Baga – proto-Bulgarian name of warrior group of up to 10 people.
You’ll go through a training
You’ll shoot with a bow. The bow activities are taking part as a game in which your speed and skill will be tested. You’ll get basic knowledge in shooting with a bow into different targets.
All warriors will be able to get closer to the sacred proto-Bulgarian animal – the horse. With the help of our host, you’ll learn to lead and stay on top of a horse.
At the end, you’ll be able to taste a typical proto-Bulgarian meal – kartalak. You’ll also drink some Ayrian – drink made of yogurt, water, and salt.
*** This Bagatur program will cost an additional 150 euro per group up to 10 people which is payable at the place. For example, if you’re a group of 4 people, then the cost will be 37.5 euro per person. If you are a group from 6 people it will be 25 euro pp and so on.
Enriched from the experience we are saying goodbye to the Bagaturs and head back to Plovdiv.
Expected time of arrival in Plovdiv – 6:00 pm
Tour duration: 9 hours
Important: We reserve the right to make changes to the tour if there are circumstances that occur and are beyond our control – like severe weather conditions, strikes etc.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Wherever you are staying at in Plovdiv
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.