Ancient Catacombs and Underground Rome | Semi-Private and Private Tours
In the intimacy of a semi-private group with a maximum of only 6 people, or in the luxury of your very own private group, travel back in time and experience Ancient Rome's underground levels on this extensive catacombs tour. With the assistance of your expert guide, make your way through the various narrow passageways and tombs, graves to many of Rome's earliest Christian citizens. Witness amazing artwork still visible on the walls from the first millennium, and be enveloped by the sacred, and also a bit creepy, atmosphere of these underground tunnels.
Here you will hear a different story, that of the Rome that is still buried underground, uncovering its turbulent relationship with Christianity in its earliest years.
Thanks to our Semi-Private group size of ONLY 6 people, enjoy an intimate atmosphere with your guide.
And if you want a truly personalized and exclusive experience, book your very own Private Tour!
You can choose your selection upon booking.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- expert guide
- small group tour of maximum 6 people
- pre-booked round-trip taxi transportation
- Private Tour option available
- Entry/Admission - Basilica of San Clemente
- Entry/Admission - Catacombe di Santa Domitilla
What's excluded :
- food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Basilica of San Clemente, Via Labicana 95, 00184 Rome Italy
How do historians and archaeologists learn about Ancient History? By exploring underground of course! Over the past few centuries underground exploration has revealed a vast amount of sites ranging from cult Pagan temples to early Christian Catacombs. This exclusive tour will visit two amazing sites, learning the secrets of the many layers of Rome.
Your tour begins at the beautifully preserved Basilica of San Clemente where we descend over five stories underground. You will learn about Medieval popes and secret Pagan rituals admiring artistic masterpieces from the 2nd century AD until the 15th century AD. Explore mysterious religions and even discover fresh water sources that lie deep in the earth!
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Catacombe di Santa Domitilla, Via delle Sette Chiese 282, 00147 Rome Italy
Led by your expert guide, hop on a pre-booked taxi that will then take you to one of the most well-known graveyards in Italy. Descend this ancient Christian burial ground and explore the narrow tunnels filled with empty graves – an ongoing point of fascination for historians.
Finally, at the end of the tour you will be driven back to the center of Rome by a pre-booked taxi.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Via Labicana, 95, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- LivTours’ group size of max 6 participants is and has always been sustainable. We are proud to be at the forefront of innovation, especially in this time. Due to Covid-19 safety regulations, sites visited on this tour require wearing a mask. Please bring one for every participant over 6 years of age
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.