Athens of the East, A day Spend Touring Madurai
Spend your day touring Madurai, known as the Athens of the East, it is famous for its temples. It is one of India's most popular Hindu pilgrimage centers. The third largest city in the State of Tamil Nadu is situated on the banks of the river Vaigai and has been a major population center for millennia. It is thought to be one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world. Lunch is included on this full day tour.
• Meenakshi Amman Temple
• Thirumalai Nayakkar Palace
• Gandhi Museum
• Lunch at a local restaurant
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Madurai
- English speaking guide
- Lunch at local restaurant
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple
- Entry/Admission - Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal
- Entry/Admission - Gandhi Memorial Museum
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities ( Optional
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple, Venmani Rd, Sellur, Madurai 625002 India
You will picked up at your hotel in Madurai at 8:30 AM and start your private tour along with an English speaking guide.
Begin at Meenakshi Amman Temple devoted to Parvathi, Lord Shiva's wife. Built between 1623 and 1655 AD its 33,000 figures made it one of the top 30 nominees of the 'New Seven Wonders of the World'. The temple is home to the 'Thousand Pillared Hall', where every column pictures Dravidian Gods. Outside this hall are the Musical Pillars, where every column, when struck, produces a different melodic note.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal, Mahal Vadampokki St Near Meenakshi Temple, Madurai 625001 India
Next, visit the Thirumalai Nayakkar Palace, well known in Southern India. During the 17th century Madurai used to be a major trading center for the Portuguese, Dutch and other Europeans. The king of Madurai employed an Italian architect to design the massive palace. The design of the palace includes the architecture of Dravidian, Islamic and European styles. The palace has a grand courtyard surrounded with massive circular pillars and a throne room, covered by a dome that is over 60 feet high.
After the morning sightseeing, enjoy lunch at a local restaurant (beverage excluded).
Duration: 2 minutes
Stop At: Gandhi Memorial Museum, Tamukkam, Madurai 625020 India
Post lunch, travel to the Gandhi Memorial Museum, where you can view the exhibitions which are separated into three segments: "India Fights for Freedom", "Visual Biography of Mahatma Gandhi" and "Relics and Replicas". You can also see the gallery of stamps featuring Gandhi, located on the ground floor.
At the end of the tour, your driver will return you to your hotel in Madurai.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Madurai, Madurai, Madurai District, Tamil Nadu
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Madurai Airport, Madurai India
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Gandhi Memorial Museum is closed on Fridays
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.