Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) is one of the most popular and impressive Maya ceremonial caves ever found.
ATM was in use during the early classic period, which dates to around 300-600AD. The caving part of the tour, takes you through a subterranean river, over (and under) more than a few rocks and into the main chamber.
The ATM Cave is a wet cave – you swim into the mouth and then wade through ankle to chest high water before climbing to a intricate passageways of dry chambers which lead to the cathedral-like main hall, a towering chamber 350 metres in length and 50mteres wide and filled with artefacts and sacrificial remains.
After this another climb takes you to the stone chamber where the Crystal Maiden lies, this is the skeleton of a teenage girl who was sacrificed and left in the cave. Over thousands of years her remains have been covered by a layer of diamond like limestone. The Mayas sacrificed humans in the hopes of appeasing the gods and bringing fertility to the land.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Bottled water
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Actun Tunichil Muknal
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Actun Tunichil Muknal, Tea Kettle Village Belize
Take a journey into the Mayan underworld at Actun Tunichil Muknal, or the “Cave of the Stone Sepulchre”, will be one of the most enlightening, epic, and unique experiences of your life. Leave the world of the living behind as you venture into the heart of the ATM Cave with your licensed guide.
Duration: 5 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
free pick up from all hotels in Hopkins
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 2 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.