Azores Marine Birdwatching Expedition Tour
Join a marine birding expedition with Biologists and Naturalists, to explore hidden places and observe coastal colonies, to look for the season’s birds and wild behaviour, out at sea with incredible ocean views!
Many Birds find oasis in the Azores Islands to breed and raise chicks, and as on-route refuge. Marine birds can be observed yearlong, peaking abundance in Spring and Autumn with the arrival of migrants and vagrants.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Opticron 8x42 Binoculars
- Knowledgeable Wildlife Guide
- Experienced Skipper
- Zodiac RIB Boat (for up to 9 each)
- Impermeable Top and Life Vest
What's excluded :
- Hotel Pickup and Drop-off
- Personal Water supply
The day starts with a short briefing introducing to birds observed locally, and onboard safety. Follow the Guide and Skipper to your designated boat and go out to sea.
The boat will travel the coast to observe known colonies, shorebirds, and wildlife at the Islet of Vila Franca do Campo.
Then head out to sea looking to find seabirds and capture wild animal behavior. Lookouts inland help providing directions via VHF Radio to where the boat may initially travel at high speed. Carefully approaching undetected distance, your Guide will keep you informed, while collect field imagery and data for research.
See Cory’s and Barolo Shearwater, Common and Roseate Terns, Yellow legged Gulls, Bulwer’s Petrel, Wilson’s and Madeiran Storm-petrels, Bridled and Sooty Terns, Great Shearwater, Leach’s Storm-petrel, Manx and Sooty Shearwater, Northern Gannets, Arctic, Skuas, Buzzards, Turnstones, Sanderlings, Little Egrets, Whimbrels,....
11:00 it is time to be back for check-out.
Know before you go - eat light, bring your personal water supply, sunscreen and chapstick, and warm clothing. Light food is permitted, camera with zoom and binoculars are recommended - protect any personal equipment.
• Islet of Vila Franca do Campo, Parque Industrial de Vila Franca 500m Offshore, Vila Franca do Campo, Sao Miguel 9680-114 Portugal
Departure Point :Azores Whale Watching TERRA AZUL™, R. da Marina 4, 9680-187 Vila Franca Do Campo, Portugal
Traveler pickup is offered
All pickups are charged separately, are subject to availability, and commence prior to designatedtime. Contact us to book and confirm your exact pickup time.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 14 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- IT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT it is not possible to control animals' behavior in the wild, or to guarantee that you will see a specific species at a specific time frame.
- This is a high conservational risk activity - a qualified Guide will always be there to ensure the best environmental & conservation standards during tour.
- English is the official language, but our team is multinational and will do their best to accommodate your preferred language (this is not guaranteed).
- No Children under the age of 4
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Breathing mask usage is mandatory at all times. Disposable breathing masks available for sale at minimum cost. If you feel sick, fever, sore throat or cough, please inform us as soon as possible.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.