Barcelona: Private discovery tour for families in the footsteps of Columus
On this private Tour discover the story of Christopher Columbus and the New World with your family or friend from the perspective of a child. Travel through time and discover what was life like at the docks in Barcelona in 1492 and on board a caravel, what the voyages of Columbus to the “New World” were like and if he really was the first one to arrive there?
We begin our tour in the beautiful courtyard of the Maritime Museum, have a look at Columbus statue, walk along the old harbour until Casa Xifré and cross the Born district. We try to visit Casa Gispert, one of the oldest former grocery stores in the city, where we can breathe the fragrance and the mystique of the past until today and finish the tour next to the beautiful church of Santa Maria del Mar.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- 2.5 hour interactive walking tour
- Local guide
- all material used on the tour
- little surprise for each child
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees (not necessary on the normal tour route)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from meeting point
- How was the world perceived 500 years ago? What was life like at the docks in Barcelona in 1492? And on board a caravel? What were the voyages of Columbus to the “New World” like? Was he really the first one to arrive there?
We wonder about all this and we find the answers together. We learn how to locate these events in an symbolic timeline, and we touch and smell food we use daily that came from America and Asia, such as spices and cocoa.
And, why not? We think about the history and suppression of the native, slavery and the relevance of respect and morals of different peoples and cultures with the kids.
We visit Casa Xifré and we become detectives to rediscover, in its façade, elements related to the sea, the exotic tropics, and the indiano heritage in Barcelona. This way, we can understand the economical and exotic wealth the “discovery of America” brought to Spain.
Departure Point :Patio fo the Museu Marítim, close to the old harbour and at the end of 'La Rambla'
Return Detail :Plaça del Fossar de les Moreres, 08003 Barcelona
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Recommended for children aged 6 and older
- Children under 6 must be accompanied by an adult
- Children 6 and older can participate without beeing accompanied by an adult
- Adults may not participate in this tour alone, as this is a tour for children and families
- Please advise if your child has any food intolerances or allergies. During the tour the children can taste different spices and foods.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.