Basilica of Saint Maria Novella and Officina Profumo Farmaceutica - Private Tour
If you want to experience the wonderful art and religious architecture in Florence, this is the trip for you. Enjoy a guided tour of one of the most beautiful gothic Renaissance churches in Florence and the ancient pharmacy.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Entrance ticket
- Qualified tourist guide
- Entry/Admission - Church of Santa Maria Novella
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Church of Santa Maria Novella, Piazza Santa Maria Novella, 50123, Florence Italy
You will meet your local guide at the entrance of the Basilica where you can appreciate its marvellous, multi-coloured marble facade. The Basilica dominates this elegant square where the Palio dei Cocchi is held, one of the most competitive traditions dating from the Renaissance period. Your guide will recount the story of the Frati Domenicani who founded the church at the beginning of the XIII century. Inside the Basilica you can admire the main works of art from 1200 to 1400. Standing out is Giotto‘s magnificent crucifix and the Holy Trinity an alfresco by Masaccio, Giambologna‘s incredible bronze crucifix and a series of famous frescoes by Ghirlandaio.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, Via della Scala 16, 50123, Florence Italy
Your guide will then accompany you to The Officina Profumo Farmaceutica, the oldest operating pharmacy in the world. Founded with the influence of the Medici family, the laboratory continues to prepare perfume based on the formula created for Caterina de’ Medici, Acqua di Colonia later named Acqua della Regina which was her favourite perfume.Amongst the different preparations there is Aceto aromatico dei Sette Ladri, used in the event of fainting and Acqua di Santa Maria Novella for controlling hysterics. Discover the various rooms and their history, admiring the vaulted ceilings and alfrescoes on the walls.
The tour ends once leaving the pharmacy.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, Piazza di Santa Maria Novella, 18, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.