Be a Cave Explorer
This full-day trip takes you to Las Cabachuelas de Morovis, a network of caves in the heart of Puerto Rico’s northern region of karst limestone peaks. With the help of an insider guide, enjoy special access to protected caves located on private land that most people don’t get to see. Explore like a scientist as you come upon petroglyphs and creatures like spiders, bats, snakes and crustaceans. Not for the squeamish, this small-group tour limited to 12 adventure seekers includes a restaurant lunch and round-trip hotel transport from San Juan.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
- Helmet, knee pads, gloves, headlamp, small backpack
- Entry/Admission - Borikua Tours
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Borikua Tours, San Juan 00926 Puerto Rico
After hotel pickup in San Juan, travel with your knowledgeable guide to Las Cabachuelas de Morovis, a network of approx. 60 caves and shelters located in karst country. Marvel at the mogote, or 'haystack,' landscapes of northern Puerto Rico, strewn with overgrown karst limestone peaks.
During your 7-hour tour you'll hike to four caves, located on private land in a subtropical forest that's designated as a nature reserve. Your in-the-know guide has made special arrangements with the landowners to allow your small group access to these sites. After a safety briefing, don your gear — including a helmet, headlamp, small backpack, and kneepads and gloves — and set off.
In Angel Cave, your guide describes how the caves were formed over millions of years, identifies unique formations and points out petroglyphs created by the Tainos — possible descendants of the Arcaicos tribes — who once inhabited these limestone shelters.
The Cabachuelas caves are also home to a dizzying array of ecosystems. Learn about the plant life and insects you pass by during your forest walks. In the caves of Lizard and Buruquenas, expect to encounter many creatures in the dark: spiders, crickets, bats, snakes, toads and a number of crustaceans.
Hike up a hill and from inside 3 Floor Cave, look out an opening and capture beautiful views of the valley and forest floor.
Around midday, climb back aboard the minivan and head to a local restaurant for hearty Puerto Rican fare, including chicken, rice, beans, yucca and sweet plantains.
Your appetite for wondrous sights and delicious food satisfied, enjoy the ride back to your San Juan hotel, with a surprise souvenir in hand.
Please note: A minimum of two people per booking is required.
Duration: 7 hours
Departure Point :San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Traveler pickup is offered
Departs from most San Juan hotelsDates: Daily
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour has a multi-lingual guide (Spanish and English)
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- It is recommended that you bring a change of clothes, a towel, snacks and comfortable sneakers or hiking boots
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for travelers with elbow or Knee operations.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.