Bicycle tour along the scenic Flåmsbana railway from Bergen
[Oct. 16, 2017] - New York Times say's: "In Norway, the Journey Is the Destination"
One of Norway's "must do trips" is the scenic Flåmsbana railway, -however no one seems to tell foreign travelers about the even more beautiful bicycle tour on the road the railroad workers used to build this magnificent railroad. It is truly even more amazing than the railroad, as it turns downhill from Myrdal station all the way up at 865 meters a.s.l to it's very end down by the fjord. And it is downhill all way and thereby fit for both seniors and people who have not been exercising for a while.
This offers great views away from the overcrowded train, where you are able to stop and see the surroundings. Get those magic shots and be active in nature along with your family. And this trip does fit also for children down to the age of 12.
per adult from
7 to 9 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional photographer guide
- Hotel pickup / drop-off
- Private tour
- Private car and skilled Norwegian guide/driver (***no foreign low cost labour used)
- All petrol and road toll for the entire trip.
- Hotspot for image upload available in car (some regions in the mountains without coverage)
What's excluded :
- Train tickets and bike rent EUR 110 each person payable at the time of tour check-in. The ticket surcharge is required by our local supplier and is not within our control.
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- You will be picked up at your local Bergen hotel at 0700 in the morning and your dedicated guide will do his/hers utmost to find out about your preferences for a good day on the road. You head out on the road towards the city of Voss and the wonders of the scenic route and landscape you drive through. At Voss you will stop at the Voss Church from 1277, where you have some time to study this small village.
Your Guide will help you unload bicycles and board the train to Myrdal station, where your adventure begins high up in the mountains. In Myrdal you will start the Rallarvegen - that was built along the railroad to transport all the equipment that the rail workers needed. And of course - your Guide will follow you along to give first hand information and be of assistance along the route.
In Flåm you arrive roughly two hours later, and here you are able to watch the breathtaking scenarios of the Fjords in the UNESCO World Heritage area of the Nærøyfjord. Mountains climbing steeply out of the sea up to about 1800 metre, with snow caps that reminds you of a country that breeded the Northmen and the Vikings that once lived here. In Flåm it is also time for a lunch break
After lunch the tour continues to Stegastein Viewpoint. A spectacular view plattform built out from the mountainside. Enjoy a view that draws travelers from the whole world to this magical place.
From Stegastein you start the tour back towards the Nærøy Valley and are able to enjoy Europe's steepest road at Stalheimskleiva, descending from Stalheim Hotel at a 18% decline down in the Valley. From here you head back towards Voss while making yet another stop at Tvindefossen Waterfall.
As you arrive Voss you go trough the village where you boarded the train earlier - and start the trip back towards Bergen.
NOTICE: You can also use this tour as a part of your journey from or towards Oslo as your guide is able to get you and your fellow travelers on the train headed from Voss to Oslo. Just mention this when booking, and we will make sure departures fits your travel plans.
Watch the official Norway Rallarvegen movie here: https://vimeo.com/152270066
Departure Point :Bergen City Centre - clients hotel
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Flexible - please notice this tour can be used as a part of your transport between Bergen and Oslo and Oslo and Bergen depending on where you choose to end the tour.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.