Bike to Pele Tour - Explore Kilauea Volcano's New Eruption Area
Join us on a guided bicycle adventure of Kilauea Volcano's new eruption area, the East Rift Zone. See where all action took place from the eruption of 2018. We will see where the 2018 lave flow entered the ocean and created a new Black Sand Beach and Thermal Hot Ponds. We will bike along on a coastal country road where we will see lava flows from 1955 and 1990 eruptions, bike through lush tropical jungles, tree tunnels, old coconut groves, see spectacular ocean views. In addition, we will hike out to a black sand beach created in the 1990 eruption and have lunch or dinner in the lava devastated village o destroyed in this eruption.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Giant Sedona Comfort Hybrid Disc Bike (Comfortable upright position)
- DOT approved helmets
- Bike Bag
- Rain Jacket
- Lunch or Dinner, Snacks, and Beverages
- Round-trip transportation from our Meeting locations
- Safety Instruction
- Professional Interpretive Tour Guide and Driver
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Bike Volcano, 71 Banyan Dr, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720-4693
You will be picked from one of our convenient meeting location then taken into the volcanic eruption zone by van to our bicycle starting point. Our exciting bicycle adventure begins at the Star of the Sea Painted Church, which was saved from the 1990 lava flow that destroyed the town of Kalapana. There you will be fitted with a bicycle and helmet, then receive a short safety orientation. We will begin our journey on the renown “Red Road”, a less traveled road along the coastline of the lower Puna district. Although few visitors have discovered this area, it is thought to be one most of the most scenic roads in the State of Hawaii.
Our Interpretive Guide will stop at various historic eruption points along our course and provide you with information about the 1955 and 1990 eruptions and other significant events that have taken place in this area as we bike towards the new eruption area. We will bike though the most spectacular scenery reminiscent of the old Hawaii of yesterday as it is located in a remote and sparsely populated part of the Big Island. See lush coconut groves, tropical jungles, and bike through tree tunnels in this majestic paradise.
Time to relax, our air condition van will then take us on a short drive to have a delectable lunch. Following lunch we will take a short hike to Kaimu Black Sand Beach, created in the 1990 eruption. For our finale, we will travel by van to witness Active Lava Flow (volcano and County of Hawaii access dependent).
The volcano zone district is forever changing. This may be your last chance to see this beautiful unspoiled part of the island in its untouched grandeur before Madame Pele (the Volcano Goddess) decides to retake and recreate it.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
8:30am Port of Hilo (Cruise ship Passenger Only) 8:40am Hilo Hawaiian Hotel (71 Banyan Dr., Hilo, HI) 9:45am Pahoa Malama Marketplace next to Aloha Gas Station (15-2660 Keaau-Pahoa Road, Pahoa)Ports
- Port of Hilo, 80 Kuhio St, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- WHAT TO BRING?
- Credit Card and Identification for the equipment deposit.
- Clothing (t-shirt, shorts)
- Closed Toed Shoes (required)
- Protective Eyewear (sun glasses or prescription glasses)
- Sunscreen• Hat
- Your Sense of Adventure
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.