Birtvisi Canyon Hike
If the combination of stunning scenery, remote historical castles, and rigorous hiking appeals to you, then you shouldn't miss the Birtvisi Canyon Hike! Birtvisi is a great introduction to one of Georgia’s most breathtaking sites. It offers visitors a variety of landscapes in one place. You will be able to explore narrow, rocky canyons, oak forests, and ruins of an impregnable castle towering over the canyon’s cliffs. Hiking in Birtvisi Canyon will revitalize your spirit while bringing history to life among the ruins of medieval fortresses and citadels.
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All transfers as per itinerary
- Sightseeing program with English-speaking guide
- Lunch - Picnic lunch (without alcohol)
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Birtvisi
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Birtvisi, South-West of the nation's capital Tbilisi, Rustavi Georgia
Our guide and driver will meet you at your Tbilisi hotel at 9:00 am. Together you will drive to Algeti National Park (Trialeti National Park) and located nearby village Tbisi. From here, around 10 am, you will start your hike to the Birtvisi Canyon - a limestone gorge over the Algeti River.
Your hiking route today is a rather spectacular one. After passing the last house at Tbisi, you will begin to ascend along a forested ridge and get the first panoramic view of the canyon.
Next, you will descend through a narrow canyon to a delightful tree-covered valley. Here, after an hour and a half of walking, you will reach a cozy campground and will have time to rest and recuperate.
During the third stage of your trip, you will follow a small, serenely flowing river. At the very end of this path lies hidden medieval fortress, ruins of which stretch for about 1 km. To explore this part of the canyon, you will have to climb uphill for about 30 minutes, scrambling between giant boulders. The terrain here is challenging and may force you at some point to move on all fours. However, you will be rewarded for your effort with a spectacular view on a Cappadocia like landscape unveiling dramatic rock formations scattered amid forests.
You will finish your hike with a descent to Tbisi. You can choose from several different routes, each of which will allow you to enjoy additional breathtaking views.
Once you finish your hike, we will take you back to Tbilisi and drop at your hotel.
Please note: For hiking in Birtvisi, dry weather is preferable, as slick rocks can make the hike dangerous.
Recommended for the Birtvisi Canyon tour: appropriate footwear, water bottle, raincoat, torch, sunglasses, sunscreen & hat.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
At 09:00 our guide and driver will meet you at your Tbilisi hotel to begin your hiking tour.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.