Blissful Sale and the Magic of Mount Popa
From the waters of the Ayeyarwaddy to the peak of extinct volcanoes, Greater Bagan entwines an authentic way of living with a religious landmark of great heights. Blazing new paths in travel, we present charming Sale and the sagas surrounding Mount Popa.
• Explore the charming town of Sale
• Capture history at Yoke Sone, a historic monastery
• Hike to the top of the impeccable Mount Popa
• Watch how life moves along outside Bagan
• Lunch is included at a local restaurant
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- A full-day tour with a professional English-speaking guide.
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle with professional driver
- All entrance fees for visits as mentioned in the description.
- Boat ride over the Ayeyarwaddy river (depending on the water levels)
- Lunch at a local restaurant is included (food only)
- All applicable taxes and service charges
- Entry/Admission - Yokesone Monastery
- Entry/Admission - Mount Popa
What's excluded :
- Bagan Archaeological zone fees
- Personal expenses such as meals, drinks, tips and gratuities, shopping, portage fees
- Hotel accommodation in the destination of commencement.
- Single supplement charges for single travellers, where applicable
- Any airline tickets, visa fees, additional transportation cost from and to the general meeting point
- Transfers from any airport or resorts located outside the general pick-up and drop-off locations
- Travel insurance coverage for customers (highly recommendable)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Ayeyarwady River, Myanmar
We will pick you up from your hotel in Bagan by your guide and driver and transfer to the boat jetty for a 2 to 3-hour boat ride downriver over the Ayeyarwaddy.
Stop At: Yokesone Monastery, Sa Lay, Myanmar (Burma)
We will arrive in Sale, a town that developed during the late Bagan era. We start our tour around Sale with a visit to the Yoke Sone Monastery, built in 1882 by King Thipaw, the last king of Myanmar to witness its exceptional woodcarvings on the outside of the building. Proceed to nearly 150 years old teak monastery, called Sarsana Yaungchi which was even built earlier by his father King Mindon. Here, you can admire the ancient Buddha images, antique large cabinets decorated with a variety of floral motif, and Myanmar paintings, done in gold and silver colours on silk fabric. Annexe to the monastery, there is a monastic school for village children and the teachers where you may be able to witness how they study.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Mount Popa, Kyauk Padaung Road, Popa Myanmar
After lunch, we head out to Mount Popa (1.5-hour drive). Mount Popa is dedicated to animist spirits known as ‘nats’ and climbing the 777 steps to the shrine at the top of the peak is worth the sweat stains. At the foot of the mountain, you could observe Nat Shrine contains a display of mannequin-like figures representing the 37 Nat and is a major pilgrimage destination. There will be the opportunity to explore the fascinating monasteries, stupas and shrine that abound plus, of course, enjoy the dramatic view back across the Myingyan Plain. The significance of Mount Popa is of that great importance that one will cherish for its stories and explanation of this holy place by our guide for many years to come.
On the way back to Bagan, a stop will be made at a local palm tree plantation. This break will give you the chance to observe local working life with palm trees. We will return to your hotel in Bagan at around 6 pm.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel pickup is available from most centrally located in Old and New Bagan hotels. Transfer outside these areas, supplements apply.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is operated on full private basis with English-speaking guide. Other languages are on request / subject to availability and supplementary charges may apply
- Return transfers for this excursion apply only / are inclusive for customers staying in and inside Old and New Bagan.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Transfers outside these areas, including any accommodation outside this area such as Mount Popa, river cruise ports and Bagan’s Airport are excluded. Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions.
- We will do all possible to comply with any dietary requirements during this excursion; it may not always be possible to confirm your wishes in advance based on the choice of local restaurant.
- Part of this excursion includes walking over unpaved roads and paths. This may not suit guests with walking issues. Bear in mind that such paths may turn slippery / muddy after a rain shower. We suggest wearing good walking shoes, preferred closed shoes, when booking this tour.
- During Myanmar’s dry season (running from March until end July), the lower water levels of the IIrrawaddy River do not permit visits to the fishing and floating villages.
- Alternative means of transportation may be offered. We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour.
- Due to the absence of ATM machines and credit cards payment portals, particularly on islands and inside nature reserves, we highly recommend to bring sufficient cash with you.
- Sand, dust and water have a destructive effect on electronic equipment. It the customer’s own responsibility to ensure that any camera, mobile telephone or other device is properly wrapped and protected against these elements. We cannot be held responsible in any way for negligence and/or not following suggestions for any damage related to this.
- Please ensure that you bring sunglasses, a hat /cap and sunblock with a high SPF factor when traveling with us on this tour – even when it is cloudy, the sunrays still have an immense power.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to provide us with the correct hotel information, should pick-up and drop-off services be included in the package. Any changes in accommodation outside 24 hours will be handled accordingly: changes within 24 hours may be on request.
- The Yoke Sone Monastery is closed every Monday and on Burmese public holidays; alternative visits will be arranged during these days.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.