Budapest Castle Walk
Budapest’s Castle District is a 1.5 kilometer-long neighborhood perched at the top of a hill rising from the Danube riverbank. It’s a neighborhood with a timeless atmosphere, surrounded by walls, and with plenty of places to stop and admire the spectacular views of the city below. This tour is an exploration of one of the oldest sections of the city, which is full of history, fascinating stories, and charming architecture, as well as the scars from dozens of sieges and battles. Once you pass the tour buses clustered in a few spots, this is a quiet car-free neighborhood of winding cobblestoned streets, baroque and gothic facades, colorful old stucco houses, and a few of Budapest’s most prominent buildings and monuments. This tour will showcase not only the important sites—such as the eclectic Matthias Church with its colorful tiled roof and brightly colored interior, the Royal Palace complex, and the Fisherman’s Bastion—but also the secret spots hidden in the side streets.
per adult from
What's included :
- English-speaking, experienced local guide
- Coffee break during the tour (one coffee/drink included)
- Many stops for photos and questions
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entry/Admission - Matthias Church
What's excluded :
- Entrance to the museums
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Halaszbastya, Szentharomsag Ter, Budapest 1014 Hungary
The streets follow the shape of the hill, and have seen plenty of action since the mid-13th century when the first royal residence was built here. Your guide will discuss the periods of history which influenced this neighborhood, with a special emphasis on the Jewish population which once lived here, the Hungarian royalty, and the Habsburg empire.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Matthias Church, Szentharomsag ter 2, Budapest 1014 Hungary
You’ll learn about the heroes and villains of World War Two who left their mark here, and the brutal siege of Budapest in which the neighborhood was demolished when the German and Russian armies met on these streets. Buda became an important European city in the 15th century, a melting pot of nations.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: National Szechenyi Library, Szent Gyorgy ter Budavari Palota 17, Budapest 1014 Hungary
You’ll hear about how the establishment of the Royal Court sparked the beginning of a long golden age—even though no royals ever resided here. The palace and the neighborhood have been destroyed and rebuilt many times over during the course of their history, with each period, particularly the re-building after World War Two (when there was such extensive damage), leaving a different mark on the current appearance of the place.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Castle Garden, Ybl Miklos ter 2-6., Budapest 1013 Hungary
These days the Hungarian president is lucky enough to be able to call this neighborhood home, along with a few hundred regular citizens living in the hundreds of years old buildings. Join us to learn all about this area which has witnessed so much history.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :Zero Kilometre Stone, Budapest, Clark Ádám tér, 1013 Hungary
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Matthias Church, Budapest, Szentháromság tér 2, 1014 Hungary
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is available year-round
- This is a small-group tour (minimum of 2 guests and maximum of 8 guests)
- For larger groups please choose the "Group Tour (min. 8 pers.)" option when booking
- If you would like a private tour (which can be customized), please choose the "Private Tour" option when booking
- Three-hour tour (if you have someplace to be afterwards, please let your guide know at the beginning of the tour as it can stretch on for more than three hours if you are not in a rush...)
- This is a walking tour, so be prepared (with comfortable shoes) to spend lots of time on your feet! Unfortunately, this tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Minimum numbers of 2 apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.