Budapest Food Walk in Buda
Budapest is handily described as a city split in two by the Danube—Buda being the quieter hilly half and Pest the livelier commercial heart of the city. This walk is an exploration of the culinary and historical side of residential inner Buda. It reveals those off-the-beaten track places to eat, shop, and drink which are frequented solely by locals. Inner Buda is a distinct neighborhood with many fascinating layers of history. From the Ottomans who once inhabited the area (Gül Baba’s tomb is here) to World War Two’s Battle of Budapest (which devastated the neighborhood) and the following Communist period, many historic happenings have taken place in this now quiet residential district. We invite you to show off our lesser-visited Buda neighborhoods, where authentic local culinary life is entwined with exciting history and hidden foodie spots!
per adult from
What's included :
- English-speaking, food-specialized guide
- Generous food and drink tastings (enough for breakfast and lunch)
- Visits to a Buda Market Hall and four to five additional venues
- Many stops for photos, questions, and occasional food shopping
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Budapest, Buda, Hungary
Since Buda is not high on tourist radars, the eateries, markets, and shops here have been designed with locals in mind. We’ll take you to the places where we like to go. We’ll visit a neighborhood market (one of the best in the city!), where farmers and artisans from the countryside come to sell fresh produce, carefully bottled jams, juices, preserves, and more. Several butchers here specialize in indigenous Hungarian animals, with high-quality meat from mangalica and grey cattle on offer. Cheese mongers offer an array of delicious cheese made in the local styles. For lunch we will feast on authentic home-style Hungarian dishes at a few tiny eateries where the cooking is grandmotherly, as is the décor. We’ll visit a gem of a pastry shop, run by the same family for generations, where the pastries taste as beautiful as they look. When our feet begin to tire, we’ll have coffee at a Socialist-style coffee shop which has barely changed over the past several decades.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Feny Utca Market, Lovohaz utca 12., Budapest 1024 Hungary
The best neighborhood food market on the Buda side. We'll visit some of our favorite vendors, and have several tastings here.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Budapest, Széll Kálmán tér, 1024 Hungary
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Bambi Café, Budapest, Frankel Leó út 2-4, 1027 Hungary
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- 4-hour tour
- This is a small-group tour (minimum of 2 guests and maximum of 8 guests)
- For larger groups please choose "Group Tour (min. 8 pers.)" option when booking
- If you would prefer a private tour (which can be customized), please choose the "Private Tour" option when booking.
- Though there will be plenty of eating breaks, be prepared to cover a lot of ground on your feet during this tour. We’ll also use the tram (as the locals do), which is included in the price.
- Dietary Requirements: We try our very best to cater for dietary requirements but due to local food customs we cannot guarantee that this will be possible in all cases. Options for vegetarians, guests with allergies and religious dietary restrictions may be very limited.
- Minimum numbers of 2 apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.