Bungamati & Khokana Village Day Trip from Kathmandu
Visit the Newari villages of Bungamati and Khokana on a day trip from Kathmandu. See traditional houses and experience a culture reminiscent of medieval times. Visit the Rato Machhendranath and Karya Binayak temples, and see master woodcarvers at work. Admire the traditional houses and centuries-old traditions of Bungamati and Khokana. Visit the Rato Machhendranath Temple, dating back to the 16th century. See the large, 3-storied temple to the goddess Rudrayeni Mai that dominates the village of Khokana.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel Pick-up and drop-off
- Expert tour guide
- Luxury vehicle
- Entrance fees
What's excluded :
- Travel Insurance
- Fees for extra monuments
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Karyabinayak Ganesh Temple, Kathmandu 44600, Nepal
On this half day excursion you’ll admire the traditional architecture and rich culture that are reminiscent of the medieval era. You’ll see women, men, and children sitting in the streets or in common courtyards, weaving, chatting, playing, and working under the sun. As you walk along the streets, you’ll find dozens of masterful wood carvers and sculptors offering you handcrafted items at bargain prices. Most of them work from home and they may even offer you other articles for sale as well. The women spend their spare time weaving, knitting, and hand sewing. However, the village is probably best known for its woodcarvers, whose expertise in their field becomes readily apparent.
In the chowk around the temple you can see the heart of a functioning Newari town. See the many chortens and a huge prayer wheel, clearly pointing to the diverse religious traditions. Between Bungamati and Khokana you’ll find the Karya Binayak Temple, dedicated to Ganesh. The views from this spot are spectacular, and you can look out over the Bungamati valley to the foothills.
You’ll find that no matter where you go in this tiny village, a large 3-storied temple will catch your eye. The temple is dedicated to the local mother goddess, Rudrayeni Mai. A similar temple to the north-east of the village is used during times of epidemics.
10:00 am or 01:00 pm: Departure from Hotel
10:30 am or 01:30 pm: Start sightseeing of Khokana Village
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Bungamati Museum, Karyabinayak 44700, Nepal
12:30 am or 03:30 pm: Continue sightseeing of Bungmati village
01:30 pm or 04:30 pm: Drive back to Kathmandu
02:00 pm or 05:00 pm: Hotel Drop-off at around
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Customer's Hotel within Kathmandu city
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Minimum age is 13 years
- Please note that there has been significant damage to some of the sites (Rato Machhindranath Temple) visited on this tour due to the earthquakes in April and May 2015
- Most travelers can participate
- We offer pick and drop off service from Hotels inside Kathmandu city ring road. For hotels outside ring road you need to pay additional charge.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.