Buzludzha Monument and the Rose Valley Guided Day Tour
Explore two unique places, closely related to Bulgaria's culture and history by joining a full day guided trip to the "Ghost of Communism"- Buzludzha Monument and the Rose Valley. Tourist attractions that you can’t find anywhere else in the world. Both will leave you with different impressions and will fascinate you with their unique beauty and history.
This is always a small-group tour, so sit back and let your guide lead you through the fascinating Thracian Valley, the small towns and beautiful, sleepy villages all the way to the top of the Balkan Mountains where you will find one of the most bizarre and beautiful communist monuments on earth. Learn more about the economy and the lives of ordinary people during the communist period in Bulgaria. Admire the unique rose fields and enjoy a tour of one of the most charming rose oil distilleries in the heart of the Rose valley.
per adult from
10 to 11 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- All transportation and parking costs.
- Licensed English-speaking guide
- VAT and all local taxes
What's excluded :
- meals, tips and personal expenses
- Your journey starts with an early pick up from your hotel or address. Meet your guide and get on-board your comfortable, air-conditioned minivan for a day to remember! Three hours’ beautiful drive through Sredna Gora Mountain and the Thracian Valley will lead you all the way to the top of the Balkan Mountains and the Buzludzha Monument.
The “Ghost of communism” that’s how we call Buzludzha in Bulgaria! But actually, this is a monument in the mountains of Bulgaria, and indeed one of the greatest such structures from the communist era anywhere in the world. Incredibly bizarre and beautiful, Buzludzha is listed among the creepiest abandoned monuments on earth. An absolutely stunning concrete edifice in a shape resembling a flying saucer stranded high on a mountain summit, the monument attracts hundreds of photographers and adventure seekers. Enjoy the beautiful and a little creepy communist art, the fascinating mosaics, showing us all the communist leaders and the famous communist symbols and slogans. Your guide will explain all the interesting details around the foundation of the communist party, about the economy and the lives of ordinary people during the communist period in Bulgaria.
After the monument of Buzludzha, you are going down in the valley among the roses. The area around the city of Kazanlak and in the foothills of the Balkan Mountain we call “The Valley of Roses and Thracian Kings”. Driving through the rose fields you will reach the small, charming village of Skobelevo where you’ll visit a private, family rose oil distillery with a beautiful ethnographic museum next to it.
Here next to the modern distillery there is an old one, called "gulapana" which is arranged the same way as our ancestors did the installations for extracting rose oil more than 340 years ago. You are going to see a demonstration of rose oil production throughout the season and feel the spirit of the old tradition. When your tour in the fragrant rose garden is finished, you can taste traditional rose products, like rakia (brandy) and traditional Bulgarian dishes in the restaurant from which you can enjoy a magnificent view of the mountains.
At the end is the gift shop! Here you can find all kind of rose products, essential oils and products appropriate for your aromatherapy and great souvenirs.
Departure Point :Your hotel in Sofia or Plovdiv
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The tour is not suitable for disabled people
- Buzludzha monument is located high in the mountain (1441 MASL) so be prepared, bring some warm clothes and comfortable shoes
- Don’t forget your camera
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.