Bywater Stroll: Explore the Evolving Neighbourhood on an Audio Walking Tour
Take a walk through the evolving Bywater with this self-guided GPS audio tour. Historically a working-class neighbourhood, it has become a destination for artists and those seeking alternatives to the spectacle of the French Quarter. With its artist-run collectives, new bars and restaurants, and music venues popping up all over the neighbourhood, nightlife has begun to migrate here.
This walk will wind you through some of its non-commercial, daytime offerings, with an eye toward some of the natural, historical, and overlooked details that give it character. Along the way, your walk will be punctuated with poetry, and you will have some personal time with the Mississippi River that makes the city "crescent."
per adult from
40 to 90 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap app for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Smartphone and headphones
- Food and drink
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: 5 Press Gallery, 5 Press St, New Orleans, LA 70117-7391
It features the work of artists connected to the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, or NOCCA
Pass By: New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, 2800 Chartres St, New Orleans, LA 70117, USA
It's a tuition-free arts conservatory for high school students. Entrance is by audition only, and such luminaries as the Marsalis brothers and Trombone Shorty have emerged from here.
Pass By: Crescent Park, Piety St. at Chartres St., New Orleans, LA 70117
The tour passes through Crescent Park. It stretches for 1.4 miles along the Mississippi River. It's a fairly recent addition to the city and has provided Marigny and Bywater residents new access to the Mississippi River which borders the neighborhood.
Pass By: Mississippi River, Louisiana, USA
The tour briefly walks along the river
Pass By: Rusty Rainbow Bridge, New Orleans, LA 70117, USA
By locals, it's called The Rusty Rainbow, but it's actually the Piety Street Arch. While the other two entrances to the park allow for vehicle and handicap access, this one is very stair-heavy. The view from the top is a great way to watch the passing clouds or check out the fireworks on the many occasions New Orleans celebrates with them.
Pass By: Mickey Markey Park, 3301 Royal St, New Orleans, LA 70117, USA
Mickey Markey Park is a destination for families and dog owners in the Bywater. It was renovated a few years ago. From a fenced-off mostly-dirt field, it was turned into a sprawling green space for leashed dogs, soccer games, and lounging with a take-out pizza. A lot of birthday parties are hosted here with bouncy houses, summertime sprinklers and baby pools. And it's a spot for other, more unorthodox gatherings as well. This is the starting point for the annual naked bike ride, for instance. It's great for people-watching too. On weekends and nice-weather evenings, parents often gather with adult beverages while kids monkey around on the playground equipment.
Departure Point :Press Street Station, 5 Homer Plessy Way, New Orleans, LA 70117, USA
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 10/21/2019 - 12/31/2020
1/1/2021 - 10/20/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.