Caracol with Rio Frio Cave and Big Rock Falls From San Ignacio
Embark on a journey that takes you into the sleeping and burial grounds of ancient Maya royalty.
Caracol, which means “snail” in Spanish, is the largest Maya site in Belize covering about 75 square miles. Occupied around 1200 BC, but its epicenter was not populated until around 650 BC, and was abandoned in approximately 950 AD, with the entire site abandoned by 1050 AD.
Caana (meaning sky palace), the main pyramid at Caracol, houses 4 palaces and 3 temples and remains the tallest
building in modern Belize, with a height of approximately 141 feet.
After your tour of Caracol Temples, you will visit the Rio Frio Cave & Big Rock Falls on your way back through the Mountain Pine Ridge National Reserve.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- National Park fees
- Bottled water
- All activities
- Free Hotel pick up and drop off for hotels within San Ignacio Town ONLY.
- Pick ups at hotels outside of San Ignacio will incur extra charges.
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for hotels outside of San Ignacio Town.
- Your adventure begins from 7:00 a.m with a 2-hour drive on a wildlife-rich road through the Mountain Pine Ridge. Many claim to have seen
jaguars and tapirs on the way. The Road to Caracol is an adventure in its own!
Upon arrival at the site, your guide explains its history as he walks you through historical pictures and findings at the on-site museum.Caracol, which means “snail” in Spanish, is the largest Maya site in Belize covering about 75 square miles. Occupied around 1200 BC, but its epicenter was not populated until around 650 BC, and was abandoned in approximately 950 AD, with the entire site abandoned by 1050 AD.
Thereafter, it’s off to explore the ancient temples. Try to contain your excitement and listen to your guide while he explains the various structures’ purposes and the stories in the several stelae. Feel free to climb to the very top of Caana, the tallest temple. You will certainly be awestruck!
When our exploration is done, you head to the park where lunch is served. Then head back into the Mountain Pine Ridge with
the option of stopping for a refreshing dip at the beautiful Big Rock Falls.
On your way back from Caracol, you'll make a stop at Rio Frio Cave & Big Rock Falls in the Mountain Pine Ride.
RIO FRIO CAVE: Two massive 65ft entryways make it extra accessible and creates natural lighting inside. Huge stalactites hang from its massive cathedral-like vault room sized boulders on the ground where a stream flows through, forming pools with cascading falls.
Difficulty level: Easy to Moderate
BIG ROCK FALLS: Deep in the escarpment of the Mountain Pine Ridge, Big Rock Falls is another of the area’s waterfall treasures. The tremendous view of water rushing over the huge 150-ft rock formations and plummeting into the deep perfectly round pool at its base provides a rush of excitement. You won’t regret stopping by to take a nice cold swim, which you will definitely enjoy regardless if you are on your own, with someone or with your family.
Departure: After having visited each site, we’ll proceed onto making our way out of the Mountain Pine Ridge and back into San Ignacio, arriving around 4:00PM (depending on your individual pace).
Difficulty level: active
After an adventurous ride and a short hike down a steep path, you arrive at one of the most secluded and relaxing destinations with an amazing waterfall and natural pool for a refreshing dip.
Departure Point :Cayo Welcome Center in San Ignacio Town Free hotel pick ups within San Ignacio Town ONLY.Hotel pick ups outside of San Ignacio Town incur extra charges (please select "Tour & Hotel pick-up" option).
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Same as pick up location
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.