Castel Sant'Angelo Small Group Tour
Castel Sant’Angelo is a unique monument on its own. However, only with an expert, English-speaking guide, you can deeply get the understanding of the singularity of the place.
The Castle, besides its multi-layered structure and complex history, is filled with frescoes, paintings and decorations from the Renaissance, when the rediscovery of classical philosophy, literature and art occurred.
The Classical values and ideas are reinterpreted under a new Christian light: the pagan elements are no more in contrast with the Christian beliefs, and are instead promoted, exalted and overlaid in this new bond where ancient and present, pagan and Christian, sacred and profane coexist in a new dimension.
Castel Sant’Angelo is a magic place full of Renaissance artworks, rich in references, symbolism and fascinating tales from the antiquity, as to glorify the Pope, the Papacy and the Christian culture.
Take the opportunity to grasp the true uniqueness of Castel Sant’Angelo.
per adult from
What's included :
- Expert, English-Speaking Tour Guide
- Admission Tickets & Booking Fees
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Private transportation
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Castel Sant'Angelo, Castel Sant'Angelo, Province of Rieti, Lazio
Castel Sant’Angelo was originally built as a monumental tomb for the Emperor Hadrian. Already during the Late Roman Empire it became a stronghold for its size and strategic location to the north of the city, where most of the invasions came from.
It was then turned into an impregnable papal fortress during the middle ages and improved all throughout the renaissance times, featuring a large garrison, prisons and papal apartments.
This castle is directly connected to the Vatican by the means of a covered passageway called “Passetto di Borgo”. The pope would use this gateway to take refuge in the Castle. The papal apartments were specifically designed to make the pope comfortable during his potential stay in the fortress.
The variety of purposes and its continuity of use throughout the centuries makes Castle Sant’Angelo one of the most charming and iconic monuments of the Eternal City.
By visiting this place, you can basically enjoy the whole history of Rome, all in one go.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Piazza di Ponte S. Angelo, 68, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Return Detail :Castel Sant'Angelo, Lungotevere Castello, 50, 00193 Roma RM, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Please note that due to current Covid-19 restrictions and new safety policies, all customers are required to wear a mask indoors. Temperature checks might also take place at tour venues: if your temperature should exceed 37.5 degree Celsius for any reason, you cannot attend the tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.