Catacombs and Roman Countryside Half-Day Walking Tour
Travel along Rome’s ancient Appian Way and explore its ancient aqueducts, Catacombs and countryside on this 3-hour tour. Escape the city’s hustle and bustle to discover the surrounding countryside with your guide. Visit the Catacombs of San Callisto or San Sebastiano — widely considered to be among Rome’s finest remaining burial sites — and explore their labyrinthine underground tunnels. Admire feats of engineering from a past civilization in the antique arches of Rome’s mighty aqueducts and gain valuable insight into one of the world’s most fascinating ancient civilizations.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Admission Fees to the Catacombs of San Callisto
- Bus transfer
- Headsets available upon request
- Entry/Admission - Catacombs of Saint Callixtus
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Catacombs of Saint Callixtus, Via Appia Antica 110, 00179 Rome Italy
The sightseeing tour begins with a comfortable bus ride to the Roman countryside. Here you will discover the beauty that lies outside of Rome, starting with the infamous Catacombs of San Callisto- among the largest and most important in Italy. This underground cemetery and the burial site of 500,000 Christians and dozens of martyrs and popes is divided into two areas – the crypt of St. Cecilia and the Crypt of the Popes.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Circus Maximus, Via del Circo Massimo, 00186 Rome Italy
We continue by bus through the Roman countryside to the next destination – Circus of Maxentius. Although not as renown as Circus Maximus, this well-preserved structure can be found in the lush Caffarella Park
Stop At: Mausoleo di Cecilia Metella, Via Appia Antica, 161, 00178 Rome Italy
Next stop on this undiscovered Rome itinerary is an external visit to the Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella. Located at the top of a hill along Via Appia, this monumental tomb was built to honor the Roman noblewoman during the 1st century B.C
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Via Appia Antica, Via Appia, Rome Italy
We continue with a walk through one of the oldest and most significant streets in the world - the Appian Way. Referred to by Romans as the “Queen of Roads”, Via Appia connected Rome to Brindisi in Southern Italy, serving as the main trade route with Greece and the East. Which is why the Appian Way of 300 B.C. is considered one of the greatest engineering works of Ancient Rome civilization.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Via Cavour, 224, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :9:45 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage NOT available
- A dress code is required to enter the catacombs. Both shoulders and knees MUST be covered for both men and women. This dress code is strictly enforced and you will be refused entry if you fail to comply with requirements.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.