Caves and Lava Fields: Half Day Private Hike
Caves and Lava Fields: Half Day Private Hike is an archaeological field trip that explores the Roiho region of Rapa Nui, above ground over volcanic terrain and underground through amazing lava tubes. By visiting key sites, the story of the human occupation of this area comes alive through the explanations of a local expert with academic background. This field trip is based on scientific, ethnographic and historical evidence suplemented by a deep knowledge of our oral tradition.
RPS Experiences is the tourism wing of the Rapanui Pioneers Society, a research and educational organization formed by thoroughly experienced members. Our slow tours go against the fast-paced group tours to make sure that our Rapanui culture is well represented. We visit the sites during the hours of best light and avoiding (as much as possible) the busy hours, and we take our time on each site to get the full experience.
Private service only.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
What's excluded :
- National Park Ticket not included
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rapa Nui National Park, Easter Island Chile
Starting point of the hike is in the Roiho area of the Rapa Nui National Park. Along the way we will see several lava tubes, cliffs, ruins of archaeological sites and the topography of some of the youngest lava flows of the island.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Ana Te Pahu, Parque Nacional Rapa Nui, Easter Island Chile
In this field trip we explore the western wing of this lava tube, three stages of increasing levels of darkness. In some sections we see native vegetation and also some species introduced by early Polynesians.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Ana Te Pora, Easter Island Chile
After about one hour hiking we reach this small and smooth lava tube turned into an Ana Kionga (shelter cave). A narrow lateral tunel, almost inaccesible, goes all the way to the cliffs of the west coast.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Ana Kakenga, Easter Island Chile
After another short hike we get to Ana Kakenga. A small, modified entrance takes us to a narrow tunnel that gradually gets wider. At the end we see two windows to the sea. Each provides an amazing view to the ocean and either the islets of Motu Tautara or the rugged west coast of Rapa Nui.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Atamu Tekena, Hanga Roa, Isla de Pascua, Valparaíso, Chile
Traveler pickup is offered
We meet or pick up our travelers from any place in Hanga Roa urban area including the MataveriInternational Airport (IPC) and major hotels, hostels, vacation homes, camping sites, downtown, etc.Travelers need to have the National Park Ticket to enter most of the sites. Ticket not included.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.