Centro de Investigaciones Paleontologicas - CIP Admission Ticket
More than three decades ago, 3 people with different courses of study and professional life, but inspired by their passion for paleontology. Recognizing the value of these fossils and the need to protect, prepare and study them, they constitute the Colombian foundation of Geobiology, to have an organization dedicated to recover, prepare, conserve, study and disseminate part of the pre-historical wealth of Colombia. With time important technical advances are achieved. From this moment comes national and international recognition by professionals and is when the initiative is taken to have a larger-scale headquarters to house the collection and the laboratory.
This is how we were born; being the first Paleontological Research Center of Colombia, it is located in Villa de Leyva, the place that has contributed most to the growth of the collection. The Center for Paleontological Research is a self-sustaining non-profit organization.
per adult from
What's included :
- Admission ticket
- Entry/Admission - Centro de Investigaciones Paleontologicas - CIP
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Visit: Centro de Investigaciones Paleontologicas - CIP, Via a Santa Sofia km 4, Villa de Leyva Colombia
What can you find as a tourist attraction? The Center de Investigaciones Palentológicas (CIP) Villa de Leyva, the first of its kind in Colombia, has one of the most advanced laboratories in Latin America in the preparation of fossils.
Here remains one of the most complete collections in South America of prehistoric marine reptiles such as Plesiosaurus, pliosaur, turtle (Here is the oldest sea turtle fossil in the world), ichthyosaurs like dolphins, leaves, conifers, ammonites, and remains of dinosaurs, traces of terrestrial reptiles and the only tooth of tigra reported in Colombia along with other fossils of the Cenozoic era.
Additional we have other tours in the area of dinosaur hunters, where the visitor can explore in a simulation of a real field and can find the full explanation of how fossils are, what a person does when finding a fossil, what kind of fossils there is and have the experience of excavating replicas planted in a natural mountain. Another attraction is to create your own fossil based on replicas of original fossils where the visitor can make an ammo-nite with plaster, which allows him to appreciate the work of paleontologists when they can not transport an original fossil and there is a way by means of copies to study it. Our tour is in English and Spanish through our showrooms. The whole tour has a very educational experience, where you learn about prehistory and you become aware of the protection of the paleontological heritage of the region.
Mission: Develop new techniques applied to the preparation and study of paleontological material. Be a repository of paleontological specimen material for its preparation, conservation and custody. Make available to accredited academics to advance in the knowledge of our prehistoric ecological systems. Disseminate paleontological knowledge to promote awareness of the causes of disappearance of species in the past and the conservation of current ones.
Purpose: The objects of the Paleontological Research Center will be the following:
1. Promote the scientific development of Paleontology in Colombia.
2. Ensure the recovery of Paleontological material in Colombia.
3. Promote research on paleontological material in Colombia.
4. Promote the dissemination and exhibition of paleontological material from Colombia.
5. Contribute in the conservation and protection of the paleontological material of Colombia.
6. Scientific and technical support to the Government, territorial entities, university institutions and decentralized entities that request it for the management, recovery and conservation and study of paleontological material.
7. Serve as a complement or aid to public, scientific and technical or university entities, in all or as may correspond to paleontology.
Departure Point :Centro de Investigaciones Paleontológica CIP
Departure Time :9am until 5pm: Monday to Sunday
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.