Chagres Challenge Overnight - 2 Days Jungle Expedition in Chagres National Park
The pristine jungles of upper Chagres National Park, the gorgeous Chagres River, and the Embera Indigenous met through an itinerary full of activities that starts and ends in Panama City is a memorable expedition.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 2x Breakfast
- 1x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 1 night
- Rafting Gear
- Camping Gear
- Entry/Admission - Chagres National Park
- Entry/Admission - Comunidad embera Tusipono
What's excluded :
Day 1: The Chagres Challenge
Stop At: Chagres National Park, Carretera Madden, Colon Panama
Start at 5am after your picked and taken in an all-terrain vehicle from your hotel to the remote village of San Cristobal.
After enjoying a light breakfast, visit a campesino survival agricultural farm in the Chagres National Park.
Next, hike for about 2-hours up to Rio Piedras. This area is a Chagres River tributary, where you will get into your rafts and begin to float downstream, (Class II-III rapids) floating into the untouched jungles of the Chagres National Park. Keep an eye out for wildlife such as monkeys, sloth, river otter, iguana, toucan and fish.
From late February through early June you might have to hike all the way to the Chagres River (which takes 3-hours) because Piedras River might be to low to raft on.
After lunch, continue rafting further downstream passing an impressive granite canyon with some white water rapid action, and ending just before encountering Madden Lake where you met by a "piragua" (native wooden canoe equipped with outboard motor). Ride in the piragua further downstream to visit an Embera Indian Village and the riverbank where you will spend the night.
Duration: 17 hours
Accommodation included: Tent Camp by river shore.
Day 2: Embera Village
Stop At: Comunidad embera Tusipono, Colón, Panama
After breakfast, meet the villagers and learn about their customs, beliefs and legends.
These natives migrated to Chagres River banks more than 20 years ago, where they found the same habitat they were so familiar with in the Darien Jungles.
The Embera will display their crafts, dances and they'll invite you to their huts to appreciate the constructions and living habits of hut life.
Go to nearby areas ,in which you will appreciate their cultural adaptation to the jungle and river and enjoy the ride.
At the end of our journey, a "piragua" will take you to the nearest road where a driver will be expecting you and ready to bring you back to civilization, and to your hotel in Panama City around 3pm.
Duration: 2 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pickup in all hotels with out charge within Panama City. Also outside Panama City with an extra charge
Departure Time :5:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.