Chania's Turbulent History: Uncover the stories of its Old Town on an audio tour
Did you know that Chania has been inhabited since the Neolithic Period? We’d love to share the amazing history of this little town with you on this self-guided audio tour.
You’ll discover its remarkable architecture along the way, including a magnificent lighthouse, churches, mosques, shipyards and the old town’s well preserved houses. They’re a reminder of all the people and cultures that have influenced local life, from ancient times through to the Byzantine era, the Venetian occupation and Turkish rule. I’ll also point out the entertainment and cultural offerings that make the modern town so vibrant.
During this tour, I’ll give you local insight, share fun facts, and introduce you to Chania's cultural identity through storytelling. We’ll explore some secret spots and find the old town’s hidden treasures too.
Allow 1.5 to 2 hours for this walk. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars en route for a quick (or lengthy!) stop.
per adult from
60 to 75 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Smartphone and headphones
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- Food and drink
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Old Chania Market, Chania 731 32, Greece
The tour starts outside the Old Chania Market.
Pass By: Trimartiri, Chania's Cathedral Church, Pl. Athinagora, Chania 731 32, Greece
The tour briefly stops outside the Trimartiri, Chania's Cathedral Church.
Pass By: Archaeological Museum of Chania, 21 Chalidon, Chania Town, Crete 731 32 Greece
The tour passes by the Archaeological Museum of Chania.
Pass By: Etz Hayyim Synagogue, Kondylaki St., Chania Greece
The tour makes a quick stop outside the Etz Hayyim Synagogue.
Pass By: Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa, Theofanous 9, Chania 731 31, Greece
The tour passes by the Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa.
Pass By: Maritime Museum of Crete, Coast Kountourioti, Akti Kountourioti, Chania Town, Crete 73110 Greece
The tour passes by the Maritime Museum of Crete.
Pass By: Church of Saint Rocco, 55 Daskalogianni, Chania Town, Crete 731 32 Greece
The tour passes by the Church of St. Rocco
Pass By: Church of Agios Nikolaos, 1821 Square, Chania Town, Crete Greece
The tour passes by the Church of Agios Nikolaos
Pass By: Venetian Neoria, Venetian Port of Chania, Chania Town, Crete Greece
The tour passes by the Neoria (Venetian Shipyards)
Pass By: Old Venetian Harbor, Agiou Markou 8 Akti Tompazi, Chania Town, Crete 731 32 Greece
The tour passes by the Old Venetian Harbour.
Pass By: Mosque Küçük Hasan مسجد, Sourmelis 18, Chania 731 32, Greece
The tour ends outside the Mosque Küçük Hasan.
Departure Point :Old Chania Market, Chania 731 32, Greece
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/30/2020 - 10/20/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Mosque Küçük Hasan مسجد, Sourmelis 18, Chania 731 32, Greece
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.