Chettinad Crafts And Culture Tour - From Madurai
This is a private full-day excursion to explore the history, culture, cuisine and crafts of the Chettinad district in the southern state of Tamil Nadu. The district gets its name from the Chettiars, a powerful and prosperous business community whose influence is clearly discernible in the region's culture, crafts and cuisine. The old wealth of the Chettiars can still be seen in the large number of elaborate 19th century mansions they built in a mix of Indian and European styles. Apart from being famous for its spicy and aromatic cuisine, Chettinad is also known for its crafts, such as the famous Athangudi handmade tiles and the Chettinad handloom sarees.
• Tile and pottery making
• Thirumayam fort
• Chettinad style mansions
• Antiques market
per adult from
8 to 9 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- A local English speaking Guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
- Entry/Admission - Thirumayam Fort
What's excluded :
- Additional food or drink
- Items of a personal nature
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Athangudi, Tamil Nadu 630101, India
You will be picked up from your hotel in Madurai in the morning from where you will drive to Athangudi, a tiny village of 2000 inhabitants located in the Chettinad district. The village is renowned for its handmade floor tiles. Visit the traditional tile-making and pottery units. The brightly patterned Athangudi tiles were commissioned by the Chettiars for their mansions and are entirely handmade even today.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Thirumayam Fort, State Highway 27, Pudukkottai 622507 India
From Athangudi you will drive to Thirumayam Fort. Built in the 17th century, the fort has been a site of several battles and intrigues.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Kanadukathan, Kanadukathan, Sivaganga District, Tamil Nadu
Next visit the small town of Kanadukathan, which is famous for its grand old-style mansions with elaborate woodwork, terracota and tile work.
Visit the antiques market in Karaikudi and the local weaving looms which produce the famous Chettinad weaves.
Apart from the places listed above, this tour also offers a great opportunity to see the living culture of Chettinad – you will see paddy farming, small villages, bazaars, shrines dedicated to folk Gods, and if the timing is right, you will also be able to see festivals and celebrations.
At the end of the tour you will be driven back to Madurai and dropped-off at your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Munnar, Munnar, Idukki District, Kerala
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Madurai Airport, Airport Rd, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625022, India
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant women.
- Not recommended for participants with back problems.
- Consider wearing comfortable clothes and walking shoes.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.