Chicago Neighborhood Global Food and Culture Tour
Get a taste for Chicago’s international culinary credentials on this utterly delectable walking tour. Go beyond deep dish pizza and hot dogs, and discover two of the North Side's most diverse areas: Argyle Street, home to a large Vietnamese community, and Andersonville, once a Swedish settlement and now a destination for global eating. Over the course of this 3.5-hour, 1.5-mile walking, tasting, and history tour, you’ll get to enjoy foods from seven different exciting eateries.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Alcoholic beverage (must be 21 or over)
- Generous portions of 12 different food or drink items
- Knowledgeable local guide
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Venture to Chicago’s North Side and get ready to discover two of its most delicious districts on this 3.5-hour, 1.5-mile food, walking and history tour. Meet your guide at 11:30am on Argyle Street: located in Uptown,
Experience 'Asia on Argyle' This National Historic Landmark district is in the Uptown neighborhood, conveniently located along the CTA Red Line train. The once notorious entertainment destination is now home to Chicago's largest Southeast Asian population. You'll learn how to wrap your own Vietnamese summer rolls while also sampling lotus root salad, pork meatball banh mi and Vietnamese iced coffee during two restaurant stops on Argyle. As a bonus, you'll learn the secret Chicago foodies use to find hidden gems through the city.
Walk in the Footsteps of Early Hollywood's Biggest Stars During a leisurely walk between neighborhoods, discover a former silent film studio where some of the biggest stars of the movie business launched their careers. Learn the trick one classic cocktail lounge used to lure in screen legends and how the ill treatment of Hollywood's biggest star drove him out of Chicago.
Toast with the Vikings In the Andersonville neighborhood, also a National Historic Landmark, we learn about the Swedes who named the neighborhood by visiting the Swedish American Museum, enjoying Swedish pancakes and some classic smörgåsbord dishes. Hear some scandalous and haunting tales from an old speakeasy while you toast with Swedish spirits.
Follow the Spice Route We also celebrate the many influences of the neighborhood's Lebanese and Persian immigrants with a Middle Eastern spice tasting and samples of a few mezze staples. You'll have an opportunity to browse and purchase goods from a beloved Mediterranean specialty market.
All American Finish. There's something very American about the mix of cultures in these close knit neighborhoods. A fitting dessert is a slice of crazy good apple pie from a cozy non-profit eatery that was recognized by Food & Wine.
Departure Point :Nha Hang Vietnam Restaurant, 1032 W Argyle St, Chicago, IL 60640, USA
Departure Time :11:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Chicago Foodways Tours