Chonta - Condor Sighting 2D/1N
An unforgettable journey to the wild and wonderful Apurimac canyon where you will experience a majestic Andean condor sighting (vultur gryphus). See them soar in all their splendor to the backdrop of terrific Andean scenery.
The Andean condor is the largest flying land bird with a wing span of up to three meters or more, and a body weight of up to 15 kg. He may rise up to more than 8,000 m and become invisible to the naked eye.
In Andean cosmology, the condor is the messenger of the gods who also transports the souls of the departed into the spirit realms. The Apus or tutelary spirits may also appear to human beings in the form of a condor. To come in contact with this powerful animal is a deeply transformative experience that may impact our soul.
US $ 5 per person are donated towards the conservation of the condor and local community projects.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 1x Breakfast
- 2x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 2 nights
- Entrance to Chonta Community and Condor Viewpoint
- Donation of US$5 per person for school in Chonta.
- Entries to Tarawasi and Quillarumiyoq.
- Entry/Admission - Chonta Viewpoint
What's excluded :
- Travel insurance policy
Day 1: Cusco - Chonta
Pass By: Izcuchaca District, Peru
Izcuchaca is a quintessential agricultural region we see small villages of adobe houses with thatched or red tiled roofs, fields of grain, and herds of cattle.
Pass By: Limatambo, Limatambo, Cusco Region
The Limatambo district is located in the province of Anta, in the Cusco region. It is known, that the territory that this district occupies, possibly, at the time of the Inca apogee, possibly the scene of one of the most important drums in the region.
Limatambo district is interesting to the visitor due to the archaeological, natural, historical, architectural and cultural attractions that it presents in its territory.
Stop At: Chonta Viewpoint, Peru
Pick-up from Cusco by private transport at 8. 00 Am., and travel through the highlands of Anta towards the Northwest. After passing the pass of Willque you will descend into the beautiful Limatambo valley where, on most days, you may enjoy breathtaking views of Salkantay, the second highest Apu (mountain) of the region (6,272 m).
Near Limatambo town, you will follow a well-preserved dirt road up to the picturesque highland hamlet of Chonta. Time permitting, you will briefly visit the local school that benefits from donations, before starting your two-hour trek (moderate difficulty).
You may spot typical highland birds on the way, whilst appreciating the local flora and the spectacular scenery as you approach the canyon. A short hike downhill will take you to the viewpoint in time for a delicious box lunch.
You will stay at this marvelous spot for 2-3 hours in order to appreciate the condors as they soar upwards, being transported by thermal winds. After view the condors will back to Chonta to take your camp site./p>
After a hearty dinner, you may enjoy a warming fire and music in the area
Duration: 2 hours
Accommodation included: We'll overnigth in Chonta Campsite
Day 2: Chonta - Quillarumiyoc - Cusco
Stop At: Ancahuasi District, Peru
After breakfast we'll drive down the valley of Limatambo, leaving the main road, we visit the Incan archaeological site of Quillarumiyoc (Temple of the Moon).
This religious center contains walls, buildings, fountains, and its centerpiece, the Moonstone. A limestone boulder with a base relief of the moon that is found only here, Quillarumiyoq is a place to honor the moon and feminine, in the afternoon we will drive back to Cusco.
Duration: 3 hours
Accommodation included: 01 Night Accommodation at a 3 or 4 * hotel
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.