Choquequirao 4 Days
The trek to Choquequirao is a demanding adventure. Leaving Cusco we drive towards the town of Cachora (Apurimac), navigating a 31 kilometers zigzag trail to arrive at the historical building. The route from Cachora to Choquequirao is about 62 kilometers round trip, four long days of walking, with the option to ride a horse.
Altitude: 1500 – 3030 meters
Season: All year
Duration: 4 Days – 3 Nights or 5 Days – 4 Nights
Difficulty Level: Moderate
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up and transport from your hotel to Cachora.
- High quality camping equipment.
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Vegetarian option available)
- Professional guide
- Cook and cooking equipment.
- Mule driver and mules, for all camping and personal equipment (5 kilos maximum)
- Hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes (while hiking)
- Emergency horse
- Private transport from Huanipaca to your hotel in Cusco.
- First-aid kit, oxygen bottle and safety rope.
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Breakfast on the first day
- Life, health, accidental or any type of insurance.
- All personal care items.
- Sleeping bags.
- Water purification tablets.
- Day 01 Cusco - Cachora - Chiquisca, we leave early in the morning heading northwest out of Cusco (3350m / 10991f) in the direction of Cachora (2850m / 9350f). Cachora is surrounded by mountains, one of them the snow-covered Padreyoc (5571m / 18228f). Here we meet the porters and the mules who will be carrying all the camping equipment during the expedition. We will begin the walk passing through a variety of ecosystems, accompanied by the mystical Padreyoc mountain as we go through the Capuliyoc pass (2800m / 9186f). From Capuliyoc we will have a spectacular view of the Apurímac canyon and part of the archaeological complex of Choquequirao. Here we will take a short break and look back at the path we came on, appearing much like a stream winding along the edge of the mountain. The path then takes us to our camping place, Chiquisca (1930m / 6332f).
Day 02 Chiquisca - Choquequirao, after the breakfast, we will descend for about one hour to La Playa Rosalina (1550m / 5085f). Here we begin a climb, in a very warm climate, to Marampata (2850m / 9350f), from where we will have a beautiful view over the archaeological complex of Choquequirao. The sunset in Choquequirao is enigmatic, often accompanied by condors, highly symbolic in the Andean religions, which descend from the highest mountains of Vilcabamba, down to the archaeological complex of Choquequirao (3033m / 9951f). We camp here, very close to the archaeological site.
Day 03 Choquequirao - El Carmen, we will see the sunrise over Choquequirao, accompanied by a professional guide to tell us about the history and the recent excavations at this site. At the moment, only about 30% of the ruins are restored, so Choquequirao still holds many ancestral secrets. The restauration project should, over the next 10 years or so, bring the “Cradle of Gold” to the attention of the world and allow us a deeper understanding of the specific function of Choquequirao, which for now remains a mystery.
After visiting the site we will leave by a different route which allows us impressive views along the Apurimac canyon. We will descend 1500 meters (4921f) going from Choquequirao to Playa San Ignacio, then ascend to our camp at a paradisiacal place known as Carmen Huerto (2000m / 6562f)
Day 04 El Carmen - Huanipaca - Cusco, the Carmen Orchard is next to the Tambobamba property and was ruled by landowners in the years of the colonization. These days Tambobamba (2500m) offers great natural wealth in agriculture and cattle ranching, hereby preserving the tradition and knowledge of our Andean ancestors. Continuing our route, we will visit communities like Pacobamba and Huanipaca (3150m / 10335f). From Huanipaca we will have the most impressive view of the ´Sacsarayoc´ glacier chain located in the region of Vilcabamba, ´The last refuge of the Incas. Next we return to the city of Cusco.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :5:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Backpack, Sleeping bag.
- Strong, comfortable footwear.
- One complete change of clothing.
- Sweater and jacket (something warm).
- Water bottle.
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, Sun block (sun protection cream), insect repellent.
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper.
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits etc.
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries.
- Original Passport or Student Card ISIC (important)
- The rates are per person, based on 2 passengers. (For reservation minimum 2 passengers)
- Bookings and prices are guaranteed upon receipt of full payment for the services required.
- In order for us to make the necessary reservations, you MUST provide us with: full name, nationality, date of birth, valid identity number or passport number.
- To enter our country passengers must have a passport valid for at least 6 months from the planned return.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.