Christian Rome Afternoon Tour
Explore the highlights of early Christian Rome on this 3-hour coach and walking tour. With an expert guide, visit the magnificent Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore and Basilica of St John Lateran, two of Rome’s great ancient churches. ; and follow the ancient Appian Way to visit Rome’s ancient catacombs. Descend into these eerie tunnels used as cemeteries and hideouts by the early Christians and witness first hand their burial niches, frescoes and other hidden treasures.
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport by air-conditioned coach (maximum 50 people)
- Local guide
- Entry/Admission - Catacombe di Santa Domitilla
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entry/Admission - Arcibasilica di San Giovanni in Laterano
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Green Line Tours - Day Tours, Via Giovanni Amendola 32 Piazza dei Ciquecento, 00185 Rome Italy
Meet your guide in central Rome or enjoy a pickup from your central Rome hotel. Then, board your air-conditioned coach to start your 3-hour tour.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Catacombe di Santa Domitilla, Via delle Sette Chiese 282, 00147 Rome Italy
Arrive at Rome’s catacombs – the nearly 186 miles (300 kilometers) of tunnels used as burial chambers and hideouts by early Christians. Then, depending on accessibility,we 'll explore the San Callisto or Santa Domitilla or San Sebastiano catacombs, whre you'll see the burial niches, frescoes and other treasures lying inside.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 52, 00153 Rome Italy
Lastly, take in views of the Baths of Emperor Caracalla, the ruins of a 3rd-century Roman bathhouse. Then, end your tour at the start point or your choice of several city-center locations.
Stop At: Arcibasilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Piazza di Porta San Giovanni, 4, 00184 Rome Italy
View the wood-encased stairs and then visit the ornate Basilica of St John Lateran, the church that was dedicated to Christ in 318 and the first to be built in Rome.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Piazza di Santa Maria Maggiore 42, 00185 Rome Italy
Get an interesting lowdown on Rome’s Christian heritage from your guide as you head to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore on Esquiline Hill. Dating from the 5th century, this magnificent church is one of Rome’s five great ancient basilicas and considered second only to St Peter’s Basilica for beauty.
Departure Point :Via Giovanni Amendola, 32, 00185 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :2:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please note: This is a Multilingual Tour
- There can be a considerable amount of walking on Rome tours, (often on uneven, cobbled surfaces) due to coach regulations. It is possible for clients to remain on the coach, however this means that many of the sights will be missed
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops are allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. This dress code is strictly enforced and you will risk refused entry if you fail to comply with requirements
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 2 travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.