Christmas Guided Walking Tour in York
Discover the History of Christmas in an extra-special, 90 minute Walking Tour through the Christmas light bedecked streets of York. Once voted 'the Most Festive' city, the medieval streets echo with the histories of Christmas' past from Roman Saturnalia, Viking Mid-winter Solstice to Victorian Feasts, and more recent traditions.
This tour is 'Good To Go'. This means that all the latest government and public health directives are adhered to. Our tours are socially distanced and we will ensure we take in Christmassy corners whilst staying off the beaten track.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Guided Walking Tour from Professional Blue Badge Tourist Guide
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: York Minster, Minster Yard Deangate, York YO1 7HH England
Did the first Christmas Festival take place here in 521AD? What is on the Altar at York Minster? Shelter in the shadow of this magnificent Gothic Minster and marvel at the Christmas Festivals this part of York has seen over the last 1500 Years.
Pass By: York Theatre Royal, St. Leonards Place, York YO1 7HD England
We pass by the Theatre Royal as we venture to another historical cultural venue and find out the significance of a Victorian Author who created Christmas as we know it.
Pass By: York Mansion House, St. Helens Square, York YO1 9QL England
York - The Chocolate City. Christmas wouldn't be complete without this festive York-born treat!
Pass By: Stonegate, York YO1 8AW England
Enjoy the wonderful lights and hear stories of medieval Christmas and the shopping of Christmas past.
Pass By: The Roman Bath, 9 St. Sampsons Square, York YO1 8RN England
What happened at Saturnalia, the Roman December festival? What did we take from it for our celebrations today.
Pass By: Shambles Market, 5 Silver Street, York YO1 8RY England
Should we really kiss under the mistletoe? and why would you eat fruitcake with cheese?
Pass By: Parish of All Saints' Pavement, High Ousegate, York England
The Viking Mid-Winter Solstice is explored - what did we take from it for our traditional Christmas.
Departure Point :Constantine Statue, 4 Minster Yard, York YO1 7JB, UK
Return Detail :Parliament Street, Parliament St, York YO1, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- I have the Visit Britain 'Good to Go' mark meaning that all government and public health guidelines are adhered to
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.