Cinque Terre Day Trip from Florence with Optional Hiking
If you love an outdoor adventure, our Cinque Terre tour is sure to add a little something special to your Italian holiday. Join us and explore some of the country’s most beautiful coastal towns and admire the stunning landscapes on a guided tour you’re sure to remember for life.
- A magical trip along Cinque Terre’s rugged coast
- Exploration of local villages boasting beautiful scenery and architecture
- Free time in the villages for wine tasting and souvenir shopping
- A scenic boat ride along the Riviera (weather permitting)
per adult from
What's included :
- A fun and professional guide who is there to lead you through the day
- Transport between Florence and Cinque Terre by coach plus all other transport for the day
- Entry tickets to the Cinque Terre National Park
- Boat ride along the Riviera (weather permitting)
- Time to explore the Cinque Terre villages on foot
- Entry/Admission - monterosso railway station
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Walkabout Tour Pick Up, Taxi stand just outside train station, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
Check-in and departure point
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Borgo Storico di Manarola, Manarola Italy
Built in the valley of the torrente Groppo, until 1950 the stream which runs through the town was completely uncovered and 11 stone bridges allowed the people to cross from one side to the other. Over the next thirty years the stream was gradually covered over.
The ancient village was destroyed by Saracen pirates (in 849) and the surviving people fled in land to live. When the seas were made safe again in the 11th century, people came back to settle here under the protection of the Republic of Genova.
By the 1200's cultivation of vines was not only established but the wine they produced was sought after. The church of San Lorenzo was begun in 1338. The patron saint is celebrated on the 10th of August with a procession through the streets carrying a statue of him.
The castle which protected the town from pirates is now a private home, you can see the garden from the panoramic walk, it is on the rock immediately above the port.
Manarola is now famous for its Christmas nativity scene which is the biggest in the world. Figures outlined in thousands of lights cover the hillside. Also an Easter scene is made.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Borgo Storico di Corniglia, Corniglia Italy
The middle town of the five, Corniglia is the smallest town and sits at 90 metres above sea level.
The name derives from the huge spur of rock on which the village sits. Population of about only 200.
San Pietro church from the fourteenth century on the site of an eleventh century chapel. San Pietro's day is 29th June and as part of the celebrations, there is a procession through the streets. A special savoury tart is prepared with rice, eggs and cheese and is shared among the people who take part in the procession.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cinque Terre Trails, Riomaggiore to Monterroso Italy
These ancient trails are rough but manageable. Be prepared for the hiking – although the path is open to everyone, remember that the ground can be slippery, uneven, and in places steep and narrow. The charm of the area is that it is natural and unspoiled, do not expect hand rails or safety rails when steps are steep or when the path is close to the cliff edge. Because of the nature of the hike, we are unable to accept small children or anyone with walking difficulties.
Duration: 8 hours
Stop At: 19018 Vernazza Italy
Vernazza is unique in the Cinque Terre because of the small port that was built allowing ships to land in the protected bay. It was already a fortified village and efficient maritime base in the earliest records available from the eleventh century. Today there are traces of the military defences built by the Genovese in the thirteenth century such as traces of the old walls, ramparts and the look out tower.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Borgo Antico, Via Roma, 19016 Monterosso al Mare Italy
There was a castle here before 1200 and some ruins of it can still be seen. The community of Monterosso was founded in 1214.
The church of San Giovanni Battista, built-in 1220 has a bell tower built in 1400 as a lookout tower.
The church of San Antonio di Mesco was built in 1335.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Spiaggia di Fegina, via Fegina, Monterosso al Mare Italy
The new town is called Fegina and is linked to the old part of Monterosso by a pedestrian tunnel. Statue of Neptune built into the rock, but made of concrete so badly deteriorated, was built by an architect in the 1920's.
The sandy shelf provides the ideal habitat for seagrass which acts as a lung for the waters of the Cinque Terre and provides a beautiful beach for us. The whole area is a marine protected area, like the sea version of a national park.
2007 Forbes magazine called Monterosso the sexiest beach in the world....whatever that may mean.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: monterosso railway station, Italy, 19016 Monterosso al Mare SP, Italy
Boat Ride (weather permitting)
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Borgo Storico di Riomaggiore, Riomaggiore Italy
At Riomaggiore, centuries ago, the distinctive tall, colourful houses known as Genovese tower houses arranged in rows connected by alleys, arches and steps provided a defense against pirates.
House colours are regulated by the comune. You can't just paint them any colour you like!
Houses have two entrances, one at the front and one at the rear on the higher road, so that when they were attacked by pirates, the people could escape.
At the end of the eighteen hundreds the railway came along the coast and Riomaggiore, along with the other towns of the cinque terrre came out of their historic isolation, even though a road wouldn't reach them until the 1970's.
Language, lingua ligure, the villages were so cut off even from each other that they spoke different dialects of the same language.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Stazione La Spezia Centrale, Piazzale Medaglie D'oro Al Valor Militare, 19122, La Spezia Italy
Coach transfer back to Florence
Departure Point :Piazza della Stazione, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately.
- Suitable walking shoes are mandatory for those doing the hiking – no flip-flops. Suggestions: walking boots or sneakers, closed toe shoes with non-slip soles.
- If you want to swim during free time, please remember to bring your own towel and swimwear.
- On rare occasions the boat ride will stop operating due to bad weather or strong winds. It is beyond our control so no refunds or discounts will be issued.
- In case of unexpected closure of the paths for unforeseen events, alternative routes will be taken instead for those doing the hiking
- A large amount of walking is involved for those doing the hiking. You must be of average fitness and be able to keep up with the rest of the group.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking difficulties, below average fitness, or young children.
- Minimum age is 8 years.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.