Climb Mount Kilimanjaro: 7 Days Machame Route
Known as the “ Whiskey route”, Truly Machame route is the most popular route and has a very high success rate of making it to the top. It offers beautiful and natural features of landscape. It starts with a nice day of walking through the rainforest and has a nice steady altitude increase each day. The accommodation on the way up and down is strictly camping (movable tents) only. The Machame Route takes you high to Lava Tower on day 3 then brings you down for an overnight at Barranco Camp. This intermediate ascent and descent is the secret to a successful acclimatization and is the reason that this route has a high success rate.
per adult from
What's included :
- Accommodation prior to climb(Including breakfast sharing twin room)
- Accommodation after the climb(Including breakfast sharing twin room)
- During the climb you will share tent with 1-2 other climber
- Warm and comfortable sleeping pads(2 inches thick)
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits.
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
- Camping/hut fees
- Professional mountain crew (with over 6 years of experience in climbing)
- Each climber will be provided porters(carry 15 kg)
- Pick up at International Airport
- Transfer to the hotel As per arranged
- Return to Kilimanjaro airport.
- Transfer to the trail head
- Modern tents
- First aid kit
- Portable flush toilets can be provided for free upon clients request
- Group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery)
- Oxygen systems and pulse oximeters
- International certificates for a successful ascent
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Personal gear rental
- Guide $15 – $20 per day
- Cook $10 – $15 per day
- Porter $8 – $10 per day
- International Flights and Insurance
- 100 per person for US Nationals and $50 per person for other Country Nationals
- Lunches, dinners and drinks at your hotel in Moshi before and after climbing
- DAY 1: MACHAME GATE (1790METERS) TO MACHAME CAMP (3010METERS)
The first day trekking begins at Machame Gate normally one hour’s drive from Moshi lies the gate to the Machame route. At the Gate you will meet your trekking crew, your guide, porters and cooker. There will be a flurry of activity as porters assemble gear for the trek, where we complete park formalities. The first section of the route climbs steadily and passes through magnificent, dense rainforest. This path is less well-trodden so it can get somewhat overgrown in places and it is often wet and muddy underfoot.
DAY 2: MACHAME CAMP (3010METERS) TO SHIRA CAMP (3845METERS)
The trek is relatively steep as you enter the low alpine zone which is characterized by moorlands and grasslands. Shira Camp 2 sits on a plateau which provides you with the first views of Kibo in the North-West and Mount Meru in the East.
DAY 3: SHIRA CAVE (3845METERS) TO BARRANCO CAMP (3960METERS)
Day three, walking now on high moorland, the landscape changes the entire character of the trek. The day has been spent at altitude (up to 4600m), Although you end the day at a very similar elevation to when you started from Shira Camp, it is arguably one of the most important days on your trek as it gives you a chance to climb high and sleep low which is important for proper acclimatization.
DAY 4: BARRANCO CAMP (3960METERS) TO KARANGA CAMP (3963METERS)
Day four starts by descending into the start of the Great Barranco, a huge ravine. We then exit steeply, up the Great Barranco Wall, which divides us from the southeastern slopes of Kibo. It’s a climb over rock, not technical but long and tiring. From here we have a steep climb up from Karanga valley to our night’s camp at Karanga camp, set at 3963m.
DAY 5: BARRANCO CAMP (3960METERS) TO BARAFU CAMP (4640METERS)
Day five is summit night (and day)! We start off at around midnight. The views are spectacular. We should be on the crater rim at Stella Point (5739m) as the first rays of the sun hit us. We begin our descent by returning to Stella Point and then descending on scree slope
DAY 6: BARAFU CAMP (4640METERS) TO UHURU PEAK (5895METERS) & DOWN TO MWEKA CAMP (3100METERS)
Day six is summit night. We start off at around midnight, and walk steeply upwards to the summit glaciers. We will be climbing scree for 4 to 5 hours but gain incredible height over a short distance. Before finally heading down to Mweka Camp for a long well-earned rest.
DAY 7: TREK MWEKA CAMP (3100METERS) TO MWEKA GATE (1630METERS)
Final day of trekking on the Machame Route. A gentle trek takes us down through the rainforest to Mweka Gate, where we complete park formalities and receive certificates, Overnight at your arranged Hotel.
Departure Point :In your Hotel at Moshi
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.