Communist Budapest Walking Tour
This thematic tour is recommended for those who are interested in the second part of 20th-century history.
Hungary was maybe the most special part of the Eastern block at the time. Between the true "red" countries and the still free Austria, we were called the happiest barrack.
How could this country have a Communist/Socialist regime and Coca Cola at the same time?
If you want to get acquainted with personal stories about history, religion, holidays, school, shopping, media, housing, and everyday life, come for an easy walk in the Pest downtown. You will be strolling in an elegant area with lots of hidden memories to be discovered!
Explore downtown traces of Hungarian Communism with your local tourist guide!
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private Local Guide
What's excluded :
- Public Transportation Tickets
- Entry/Admission - Hungarian Parliament Building
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Budapest, District V., Hungary
Your vague feeling - that Hungary is a post-communist country - will be explained, illustrated and elaborated. Historical background to sites will be added, with a nice balance between information and fun facts.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Szabadsag Ter, Budapest 1054 Hungary
The highlight of the tour is the soviet memorial at Szabadság Square. Let's figure out why it is still there. Everyday life, such as traveling, is also an important topic to discuss in front of related buildings. And all of this will take place in a dominantly elegant, government area administrative center.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Hungarian Parliament Building, Kossuth Ter 1-3, Budapest 1055 Hungary
Hungary's anti-communist revolution of 1956 is also featured at Kossuth Square right in front of the Hungarian Parliament Building with reference to our infamously crushed uprising. Our last stop will be at the old headquarters of the secret service, where we’ll discuss their methods and significance in the system, and of course, I will tell the most interesting spy stories of the era.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :Elizabeth Square, Budapest, Deák Ferenc tér 2, 1052 Hungary
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 1/31/2020 - 10/21/2021
Monday - Sunday: 08:30 AM - 06:00 PM
Return Detail :Hungarian Parliament Building, Budapest, Kossuth Lajos tér 1-3, 1055 Hungary
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.