Communist Prison Tour
It is the year 1945 - the year if the Yalta Conference when Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill negotiated the spheres of influence and the heavy Iron Curtain was drawn on the map of Europe. Romania fell behind the curtain.
The first years after the communists took over the country went through a deep purge with thousands of people deemed 'enemies of the party' and got deported or sent to harsh political prisons. Fort no. 13 Jilava near Bucharest was such a prison.
The tour of the prison cells is accompanied by stories on the living conditions and hardships that the political prisoners had to face. The visit includes also a viewing of a short documentary with interviews with the survivors of the imprisonment.
Please be aware that this tour is emotionally challenging and we do not allow children and teenagers under the age of 14 on the tour. Teenagers between the ages 14 to 18 need to be accompanied by a parent or tutor.
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Jilava Fort 13
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Jilava Fort 13, Sabarului Street 1, Jilava 077120 Romania
Now open for visitors, Fort 13 is a chapter of dark history for Romania. Join our tour to visit the former prison, learn its history and the stories of the people who were imprisoned here.
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Most travelers can participate
- Children under 14 are not allowed on the tour.
- Teenagers between 14 and 18 are allowed accompanied by a parent or a legal guardian.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.