Cruise Special: Geiranger to Bergen, The Scenic Mountain route
The Cruise Special tours is a series of tours aiming towards the cruise traveler but can of course also be booked by other travelers.
However this unique tour gives the cruise traveler a possibility to make their cruise into a Jump off - Jump on, where you will travel through a magic landscape in a scenery that can best be described as the tenderloin of Norway with one highest rated guides in the country.
We mention places like: Lake Loenvatnet, Dalsnibba viewpoint, Lake Jølster, The Byrkjelo valley, Loen Skylift and it keeps coming like pearls on a line. To put it in plain words: This is Norway's most scenic private tour between the two major cruise ports Bergen and Geiranger (Ålesund) and you should simply not miss out on it.
If your bucket list has "Fjords" on it - dont wait. BOOK IT!
per adult from
8 to 12 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fuel surcharge
- Bottled water
- Local guide / Professional photographer guide
- Hotel / ship pickup and drop-off
- Special Notice: Due to Norwegian legislation, this tour includes payment for a overnight stay in a tent at our remote island in the Osterfjord. Notice that you dont need to utilize this, as this is solely to comply with the outdated Norwegian transportation law. In case you DO want to utilize this part of the tour, please notify the local supplier at the time of booking and a tent wil be provided for your use. A 1500 USD security deposit must be paid for the tent. You will have to put up the tent yourself and make your way to the island on your own!
What's excluded :
- The listed price does not include a 110 EUR facility fee, payable at the time of tour check-in.
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- There is only one problem with this full day tour between Bergen & Geiranger (Ålesund). It has so many scenic highlights that it is hard to describe. It is also a tour that follows a route that is more or less hidden to the common tourist, as your Guides will backtrack off the road to give you the very best of the Fjord landscapes.
All the Guides used on this tour is born and bread Norwegians, and have superior local knowledge compared to other vendors that operate only at peak season. This means that it is pricey like anything in Norway - but that you will see places and things that are normally only available to locals. Hence: You don't come home with the very same pictures that your neighbor two blocks down have.
So - to a short version of the itinerary: Your guide will meet you bright and early in your cruise port or preferred pick up location in Bergen or Geiranger (Ålesund). Once luggage and you are comfortably in the car, you will be presented with two optional routes that both are equally intriguing. First option is the rugged coastal drive, and second option the wild mountains separating the western Fjords. (Many cruise passengers leave their main luggage on the ship and travel light to have optimal space on the tour.)
You head out on the road and start making your way towards Geiranger / Bergen and once you are out of the respective cities - you are soaked in a landscape of steep snow capped mountains and pristine lakes with glacier water plunging down from the waterfalls. This landscape where set to be the film locations of the movie "Lord of the Rings" - but was moved due to budget problems from the filmmakers.
Your Guides are chosen for their personal skills more than anything else, and are all "people persons" that has a great foundation of knowledge about Norwegian history, modern politics and economy and the travelers love their entertaining way of relaying knowledge.
During the day you will have the option to have a all Norwegian Viking lunch with handpicked items on the menu from local small scale producers. Fresh sourdough bread, local salamis and dried meat together with a variation of highly local cheeses and craft beer from farm breweries. As the ingredients are local and picked for their unique taste, this option is available only for groups of 4 or more due to the cost. For the budget orientated traveler you are of course free to use any of the restaurants along the way.
This tour will have you timely back on the ship and we ask you to provide ship name and embarking / disembarking under special requirements field in your booking. If other questions, please ask your Viator booking agent to get in contact with the local supplier. This supplier specialize in tailoring tours to fit you needs, weather that is mobility issues or special requirements you might want to bring forward.
Dont forget your cameras - as this tour present unique photo opportunities :)
Departure Point :Ships docking pier in Bergen or Geiranger / Hotel in same locations.
Departure Time :Departure time as per order by the traveler. Please get in contact with the local supplier once the tour is booked to specify Ship arrival/departure times. Local operator will advice you how to make this tour fit your ship's schedule.
Return Detail :Returns to ship in next port.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.