Crystal Cave and Blue Hole National Park Day Trip from San Ignacio
If an active adventure in Belize is what you’re looking for, head underground to the Crystal Cave, located in Blue Hole National Park. An expert guide will take you spelunking (cave exploring) after a hike through the lush tropical forest amid a rugged limestone landscape. Inside, you will spot caverns adorned with crystalline formations, you’ll find artifacts—including pottery, beads and obsidian blades—from the ancient Maya, who considered the cave a sacred passageway to the underworld (known as Xibalba). Your day trip from San Ignacio includes lunch, a swim in the cooling waters of the inland Blue Hole and round-trip hotel transport.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Use of necessary equipment
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off within San Ignacio town limits
- Entry/Admission - Crystal Cave
- Entry/Admission - Blue Hole National Park
What's excluded :
- Hotel pick up and drop off outside of San Ignacio town
- Crystal Cave, also known as Mountain Cow Cave, is one of the largest cave systems in Belize. Located within Blue Hole National Park (not to be confused with the Great Blue Hole), the area allows you to explore amazing caverns where evidence of the ancient Maya—as well as many natural wonders—can be found.
After hotel pickup in San Ignacio at 7am, it’s an approximate 1.5-hour drive to Blue Hole National Park. When you arrive, your guide will provide any necessary equipment, such as helmets and headlamps, and offer safety instructions along with a history of the park. Then, embark on a 1.5-hour hike through the rugged terrain of the lush forest until you get to the cave entrance, located in the mountain.
After checking your gear, your guide lowers a piece of rope into the cave—making your descent down the cave wall even safer. As the slope is not too steep, the rope isn't necessary but can be used for extra support. Once you’ve moved into the first section of the cave, stop for lunch before venturing on. Here, your guide offers several options for continuing deeper into the challenging cave, including rappelling and methods of climbing up or down rocks. You’ll see a demonstration of the crab walk, a favorite technique necessary for traversing small passageways.
As you emerge into the crystal chamber of Crystal Cave, marvel at the sparkling formations everywhere. You’ll see beautiful stalactites and stalagmites, flow stones and rock columns, as well as an interesting array of cultural remains. Listen as your guide talks about the 1,000-year-old Mayan belief system, and points out ritual and ceremonial artifacts. Keep an eye out for shards of pottery, obsidian, beads and fire pits with charcoal ash, as well as evidence of human remains calcified into the limestone floor.
After exploring the first section of Crystal Cave, you’ll have the option of continuing your loop or venturing onward. If you choose to continue on, you’ll have two more hours inside the caverns, as your guide leads you to a place called Wonderland—one of the cave’s most impressive spots with glimmering formations everywhere. If you choose to return, a guide accompany you back and you'll have more free time to spend at the Blue Hole.
After your cave exploration, hike back downhill for an hour and then drive just five minutes to the Blue Hole for which the national park is named. Dip into the gorgeous aquamarine watering hole for a well-deserved and refreshing swim before heading back to San Ignacio with drop-off at your hotel.
Departure Point :6 Far W St, San Ignacio, Belize
Traveler pickup is offered
we offer free Hotel pick up within San Ignacio Hotel Limits. we can do pick up outside San Ignacio town for an additional fee
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 8 years old
- It is recommended you bring comfortable clothing, long pants is mandatory, close-toed shoes, bug spray and a change of clothes. The pick up and drop off included is for hotels within San Ignacio town limits only. For other hotels, outside of San Ignacio, a surcharge applies.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.