Culinary, Castles & Cultural Private Tour of the Boyne Valley
Come and experience some of the most special sites in the Boyne Valley through the medium of food stories!
Let me weave for you the fascinating stories of the Boyne Valley, birthplace of Ireland's Ancient East - from the land-thirsty kings to saints and scholars - as we make our way through an immersive journey off the beaten track - through 5,000 years of ancient Irish history - past landmarks and locations that have played host to great deeds and legends.
On windswept hills, in small green fields, or simply at a bend in the road - the stories here are never far away. They are written on the land and echo in the voices of the locals. "Fadó Fadó - the story begins with "a long, long time ago in Ireland..."
"Tell me a story; spin me a tale" - are you ready?
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Tour escort/host
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in the Dublin/Louth/Westmeath areas.
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- TripAdvisor Experiences brokerage fee
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Come & see some of the most fascinating stories of Ireland. The area known as Ireland’s Ancient East is the home of the history and Story of Ireland.
Here you will find an authentic and rich glimpse into the past.
The Salmon of Knowledge Experience - We walk along the banks of the legendary Boyne River and be regaled this famous story of Fionn, his cunning mentor and the famous fish. Then you will get to actually taste a portion of the freshly cooked salmon itself and hopefully you too may even acquire some of the knowledge of the world there and then!
We visit the distillery of Slane Irish Whiskey - at the magnificent Slane Castle - a really interesting tour ending with whiskey tasting. Depending on the time of year we may avail of a tour of the castle itself.
There are a number of other castles in the area - we will endeavour to visit another castle depending on the time of year and availability. For example, If time allows we can visit Trim Castle - Ireland's largest Anglo-Norman castle in the 12th century and filming location for the film "Braveheart" with Mel Gibson.
We have lunch at establishments that buy products in the Boyne Valley - perhaps a farmer's market, a book shop that serves food - but the important thing is to have a "place on a plate" experience with fresh, locally sourced and seasonal food.
On the way out we can visit Fourknocks - a Neolithic Tomb of a similar age to Newgrange and off the beaten track (we pick up our own key!)
As an option in the summer, we can row up the Boyne Canal with Boyne Boats - in handmade traditional Irish boats that were used in the filming of Game of Thrones - Westeros meets the Battle of the Boyne!
On the way we experience local people and Céad míle fáilte - the best hospitality in the world.
Departure Point :To be arranged; your hotel or B&B in Dublin, Louth Meath or Westmeath
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Ireland is green as it rains a lot!! So we need rain gear - and comfortable shoes for the hillsides.
- Minimum age is 18 years
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.