Cultural Day-Trip to Kibiro Salt Mining Village (a UNESCO World Heritage Centre)
Kibiro village is a sandy beach along Lake Albert where food does not grow. The population therefore depends for its livelihood on the exchange of salt and fish for food through time with neighboring farming communities. This village therefore forms an important cultural site which has combined both archaeology and ethnography through time in the production of ash salt.
per adult from
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- 4x4 Safari Shuttle
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kibiro, Uganda
Kibiro is a small fishing village in Uganda that lies on the south-eastern shore of Lake Albert. The residents of the village are unable to produce their own agricultural products, and must trade with other communities for most of their necessities. salt producing has sustained the people around for more than 700 years and continues to do so perhaps for posterity from fishing on Lake Albert, they depend on production of ash salt which is obtained by recycling residual earth with fresh soil which is spread on salt gardens for the salty water to get absorbed by capillary system. Through repeated scraping, spreading and heaping of the salty soil over a seven days period, it is leached and the scam is boiled to crystallization point to produce the ash salt.
Duration: 6 hours
Departure Point :Murchison Backpackers Hostel, Bobi - Masindi Rd, Masindi, Uganda
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.